• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine swap ideas?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am having a really hard time deciding on an engine for my Ranger. I am going from a 2.3t to something bigger. I would prefer to go with something with carburetor. I don't want to run efi due to the wiring and possible headaches it will cause. I certainly don't want to run a Ford obd1 system...i feel like that efi system is kind of out of date to todays standards (Yes I know I mentioned carbs) I am hoping for 300-350hp at the crank. It will be a daily driver/toy. I plan on keeping my gear ratio and tires. Maybe go bigger one day.

So here are my thoughts. 302 is cool little v8. I had a ~150hp 2.3t, i dont need another 150hp turd. I know the 302 will produce power after it is opened up, but that costs money (Heads, intake, cam...) and the block already has issues with cracking. I could spend $2k on a new block and be happy with a piece of mind. The nice thing about a 302 in a Ranger is the fact its been done before, i wont have to custom make headers or engine mounts. Saves some time.

I am thinking about a 351w. Little bigger, more power, and the engine was built stronger. If I swapped a stock 351w in my truck I might be happy but who knows. (I own 2 351w powered Ford trucks that i drive every day) I would most likely have to make custom headers or run the stock manifolds. If I wanted to make more power in the future is has a greater potential. I think I could use the 302 convertible mustang mounts on a 351w?

I thought about a 460, i think its a little too big for what I do. Its a little heavy. And I dont feel like swapping axles right now. It would be crammed in there.

Anyone have any ideas on what engine I should go with?

I have 2 engines I could use. I have a Ford 302, and a Chevy 327. I like the fact that its easier to find a Ford 4x4 5spd manual transmission vs a Chevy one.

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Go with 302. More working room. Alot of available parts. Not just new but jy have alot of options. U want 350 horses. Stock 302 is what 200-240. So add cam change pistons. Honestly a stock power 302 will fly in these small light weight trucks. But use a newer roller block and cracking isnt such an issue and options for after market parts are very popular. Good luck

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
A 5.0L, EFI, once setup will run better, give more torque, better MPG than a carb’d engine, yes a 351 will have more torque and can produce more BUT...
A carb’d engine will give more high end HP but that is all.

The EFI wiring is a simple matter, run a completely separate EFI harness for the engine, most aftermarket EFI Harnesses are three wire hook up, Power/Sw’d Power/Grd, that is all. Plan the 5.0L around a ’93 engine and use the Mustang Computer, 9L I think, and it should run really well and give you all of the power you will need. Also the ’93 Mass Air setup adapts to most engine mods without any computer tuning.

5.0L stock are around the 235 range and will accept a mass of speed equipment that is already on the market and there are Super Chargers and Turbos and just about anything you can ask for that will bolt on the 5.0L, Remember a 5.0L in a Mustang is capable of 9 second and less with the right equipment.
You might not be after a fast truck but you can not ask for a better running long term motor than a 5.0L Ford.

The main problem with a 351 is it is taller than a 5.0L, heads are higher and wider and this creates problems with engine bay fitment. You can use most of the same adapters and yes more torque but to what end.
Also, the 351 will be harder to cool than the 5.0L, a larger radiator will be needed and where will that go, the rear end, if an 8.8 will work but if a 7.5, not sure how long it will stay under the truck.

I know the 5.0L is getting to be common place but there is a reason for that it is an easier engine to install, easier to get good power producing equipment, produces lots of power, easy to repair, they are a dime a dozen in the JYs.. and the list goes on.

Just me, but to get a good running truck, that is dependable and produces good power, faster nd easier why not go 5.0L and EFI is a lot easier than most think.

Good Luck on your choices, the 351 will be a good engine too just more work.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an early 90's block in my garage. I can put it back together and run it the way it is. If it needs more power I can always put on a set of aluminum heads

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Go with a teksid motor, 305 hp out the box, weighs about the same as your 4 cylinder, and the only downside is its slightly wider than the 460, but doable...

SVT

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's the all aluminum 4.6 block correct? It seems like a very good power plant. Its what I'm looking for in an engine. I found one out of a Mark 8 for $600. Not a bad price really. You can't buy a 302 and get 300hp for $600.

I've been researching a lot a out these engines. They seem pretty strong.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
That's correct, 96-98 cobras and all mark VIII's had them, and 97+ V8 F150 trannies bolt to them...
I'm planning to do one in my ranger next...
SVT

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok perfect. One problem I see is transmissions. I will not use an automatic. The only transmission offered was an m5od. Unless they already make transmission adapters?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals