• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trailer?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well, in that case...I still say 20' or smaller and the newer the better, because they build them lighter now.

-andrew

novascotiabinder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Towing with a 21 ft tandem axle jayco featherlite

My 2008 ranger ext cab 4 litre manual 4x4 with 3.73 tows a 2007 ,3200lb dry weight tandem axle jayco featherlite 21 ft travel trailer.I can tell you I have the electric brakes the weight dist hitch and the friction sway bar damper and I have experience hauling a single axle 4000lb dry weight trailer behind an old 84 dodge 1/2 ton and by no means does that new ranger come close to hauling as easy as the old dodge did because of the length of the trailer compared to the ranger's wheelbase length and the shear size of the front of the travel trailer breaking the airflow.Like one of the guys previously mentioned,its fine power wise it will probably haul double the weight but the air drag causes the thing to be all over the road when a semi passes you or you get above 80km/hr (in canada hence the km/hr).I actually hesitated buying this trailer at the sales place and actually called my dealership to confirm the ability of the truck and his words were,"The truck is rated for less but I assure you that the truck can handle 5000lb no problems at all and therefore you dont have to worry about your warranty coverage".I followed up with the fact I wanted him to record that he oked my towing this trailer under warranty period on my file and he did.The trailer company should let you take the darn things out for a test pull since I left the trailer sales place to find out once on the highway that the rig was being pulled all over the place by the semis passing me ,as well the truck wouldnt acheive 100km/hr on anything but a straight away unless you were in 3rd gear revving the shit out of the motor.So if you are wanting to know whether to pull something this big I would say no .Unfortunately I cant just go buy another new truck or trailer without loosing my shirt in debt now so I am stuck with this setup till I can actually find an old International long wheel base or an old dodge truck to pull it with.Unless of course some one here has a suggestion on how to mod the truck to handle the towing better.I was thinking of mayeb putting an air dam on the truck itself to deflect the airflow away from the trailer or at least take some drag away.I hope this message was somewhat helpful to anyone thinking of buying a trailer this size for your ranger.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, his ranger is gonna be on 1 tons and 38's, so he's gonna knock down the same amount of wind as a fullsize. I would stick to a newer trailer (95+) just for the fact they are built a lot lighter and stick to a 20' or smaller. With the lift, a fifth wheel is also outta the question.

-andrew
No he isn't. It's still a little Ranger body. A Ranger body is about 64" wide and 50" tall. A full-size body is about 80" wide and 60" tall. A Ranger is punching 50% less of a hole in the air.

'Binder's experience is the same as mine. It's not enough truck. Its like putting a 300hp outboard engine on a commercial fishing trawler It's enough power, but there isn't anywhere near enough propeller to use it in that application. The Ranger drivetrain is suitable for that weight, but there isn't a suitable frame and body to control it.

I also would not agree that newer trailers are lighter. Old trailers are framed in 2x2s (or smaller) with aluminum skin on them and usually an undersized frame and axle and nothing like the amount of amenities available in a new trailer. AC was rare, generators rare, slideouts nonexistant, ice boxes instead of refers. They were also narrower--usually 7'6" width was standard--and had less headroom.

Definately trying to smooth out the airflow between the truck and trailer would help. An airdam to try and throw the air up and maybe an 8" wide deflector on either side too. I don't know how that would be done. But there's a lot of trailer on either side of a narrow Ranger cab. With an 8' wide trailer even a mirror extension won't let you see backwards. The equalizer is good since a Ranger can't accept that much tonque weight. I had a sway control--I would use a pair of them with a Ranger and a fullsize. That will take the semi factor away.

Build a little fiver for a Ranger, I would say. I'm going to build one when I get these boats in my yard built, just because it would be fun and inexpensive.

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
look into teardrop trailors, a honda civic could tow them, and there just really cool

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah?

The Jesus boat is 2,000 years old and to some people it's about the most interesting thing they ever heard of.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was trying to be humorous, not rude.

If someone wants to talk about it, it's worth talking about whenever. That's my point.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
A topic brought back to live is in my opinion something that was never finished in the first place. Sometimes by finishing it you make it easier for people who actually know how to use the "search feature" to find what they are looking for and prevent any further posts on the exact same subject. Not that it may apply in this exact same case but still you never know.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There you go, I never thought about that. Someone uses the search function and of course the topic is going to be old. We certainly don't want to discourage use of the search function.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Good points. I didnt mean to discourage discussion. I will definitely agree that threads that have no resolution are very annoying. Often its, "this is my problem" followed by "check this this and this" and then the thread dies with no actual resolution which is by far the most useful part of any technical thread.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
yep, & when one has brain damage & one gives a 300 word reply & one hits the submit button before one realizes the thread is from 8Mar2005--one really gets embarrased:icon_rofl:: other than that, it's all good:headbang:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not helpful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals