• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with new Audio System

JaredH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I have a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge. I am going to put a new head unit and speakers into my truck soon. I dont really know much when it comes to electrical stuff. How important is the head unit? Do better ones produce cleaner sound, or does that speaker do that? Also, Im looking for a more clean sound, than loud sound. I do want them to be louder than the factory speakers. If Im going to spend the money, I want it to be worth it. I know that my ranger takes 6x8 speakers. I also want to get a small sub, for a little bass. How hard is it to install a sub, and where would it go? If you could answer any of these question, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2001 regular cab EDGE. I have the 4 way pioneer speakers (50watts rms but I don't have an amp hooked up to them) hooked up to an alpine cde-102. They put out ok sound but worked great until I fit my 8" kicker L7 behind my seat. Now I have a very nice balance of punchy bass along with clean and clear highs. I'm powering the L7 with an alpine m-500. I paid about $550 for this set up.

As for your question, yes the headunit is very important. I had my aftermarket speakers hooked up to my stock headunit and there was a very small improvement. Once I put in my new headunit there was a world of difference in sound quality.

However, if I were to do my audio again I would probably amp my front speakers (maybe a 6.5" alpine") with 6x8 alpine in the back (probably not amped). Then I'd probably upgrade to a jl audio 10w3v3 with the same amp. Just some thoughts. One last thing. You might want to invest in dynomat or an equivalent to knock out any random noises and rattles.
Good luck.

JaredH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. What exactly is an amp? and how do you amp speakers?

mdn14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An amp is an amplifier, it sends power to run your speakers. Most headunits (if not all) have an on board amp that send anywhere from 16 to 22 watts rms to each speaker. You can buy external amps to give your speakers more power. As for hooking up an amp you can find some information in the tech library under Electrical, Gauges & Audio. If you plan on getting a sub you will have to buy an external amp to power it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lt4iwYeqGeb/App/Learn/default.aspx

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals