• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trans noise

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
this noise seems to be rpm affected, the rubbing sound seem to rub quicker when i rev it in neutral. when i push in my clutch it goes away. as soon as i release my clutch in first, the rubbing comes back.
Since its affected by rps in neutral shouldnt that indicate the clutch/flywheel assembly area? or could it be comming from the transmission as well?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It could be anywhere from the flywheel to the back end of the counter shaft. Odds are good that it's in the clutch area though. A common issue I've seen with noises that act how you describe is a shot pilot bearing.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
throw out but more likely the pilot bearing

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
When you push in the clutch pedal, that's when the input shaft is turning in the pilot bearing. When you're off the clutch pedal, the clutch locks the input shaft to crankshaft / flywheel speed, so the pilot bearing isn't doing anything then. Since you say it happens when you release the clutch, I'd say it's probably the release bearing.

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
When you push in the clutch pedal, that's when the input shaft is turning in the pilot bearing. When you're off the clutch pedal, the clutch locks the input shaft to crankshaft / flywheel speed, so the pilot bearing isn't doing anything then. Since you say it happens when you release the clutch, I'd say it's probably the release bearing.
I did my clutch i while back, and replaced about everything. New clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, slave, and master. The thing is though, I took the throwout bearing that came with the slave off and put the one that came with the clutch, as it spun more freely and looked more like the older one. Possible culprit? or would that not matter?

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hard telling. Did you put grease on the outside of the release bearing where it rides on the clutch fingers?

90bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hard telling. Did you put grease on the outside of the release bearing where it rides on the clutch fingers?
I didn't. My book said it didn't need further lubrication.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the pilot's inner race has come apart and allowed the needles to go everywhere you may hear noise with the clutch out. The input shaft's nose will spin and turn against the needles now that they aren't held to the outer race by anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals