• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Tan 89

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So after this trip a couple of the things that i have needed to fix were:
new rear driveshaft (binding cause the angles were not aligned, fixed with a double cardon) Shout out to BlackBII
build new radius arms (i don't trust the previous welds)
new bumpers(the material these are made of are not the best)
power steering leak
rerun brake lines on front and add steel extended lines.

These are the major things that i am working on and will post about it.
hope to keep you posted!!!

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sweet pics bro.

Can't wait to see everything fixed on that rig so we can wheeling this spring. My truck will be ready!

Let me know when you wanna do some radius arms and we'll just some out.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm down as soon as we can. TXT me so we can plan something.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
BlackBII and I built some sweet arms this last weekend. I'll post pics and what all went into it soon!!

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2 weekend back i was finally able to get the bronco back together and just did the simple upgrade of 95 chevy 2500 brake lines (info found in the tech station) i just ordered those off of amazon(pretty much the go to for almost everything), just make sure when you do that upgrade you notice the lip on each side. I had accidentaly put mine in backwards and couldnt figure out what was wrong :annoyed: , it was also 12 at night and had to be on the road the next afternoon.
But after it all was together I packed it up and headed to SLC/OREM area to meet up with BlackBII to build some arms. The ride down was fun, had alot of rocking and just a bit wobbling with anything over 60mph.

The build took us 2 days a total of about 20 hrs with little breaks for food and alot of runs to the store for hardware and a hole saw.

Parts used:
5 foot 2"odx1.5"idx.25 (about $9.00 a foot)
1/4" steel plate (BlackBII had it already)
2 stock radius arms (JY paid $15 a piece)
Radius arm bushing ($20 from a local store)
Crap ton of grade 8 hardware (i dont want to know how much i spent)
Cutting wheels (HF came through for the win)
Plumbing pipe($5)

then various tools you will need or can get by.

Day 1

First we took the old arms off and just to make it easy and use the same locations.

Then mocked up some brackets using cardboard and got to cutting. This whole process took us all of day 1 and here was the end result.

To get the angles we needed, we just put the axle at stock height and followed the angle of the drive line. If i remember right it was like 6 degrees. To cut the hole for the arm we used a 1 5/8" hole saw from lowes(cause home depot didnt have it). Something we also did was used a small portion of galvanized plumbing pipe(dont remember the size) to make a washer or spacer type thing on the back of the bracket so that there was no space in the bushing.

Here is Dante doing his thing on the drill press

Day 2

Day 2 was alot faster because we already had our angles and design laid out so it was a piece of cake to throw another bracket together and build the actual arms.
So first thing we did was cut and build another bracket.

Then came the arms themselves. First i measured and cut the rod end off. Then i cut the arms right where the the tubing fit nice and tight. From there we installed the cut up radius arms to the axle and measured how much tubing we would need.

Once we got that length the tubing was cut it was tacked into place and everything was fully welded up. BlackBII did all the welding.

Here is the end results. Sorry i didnt take more pics of the entire process.

Here is what they look like primed and installed:

They area gonna be painted black when i get my powersteering all fixed up and the front third member re sealed.

The drive home i can say was 100 times better than the drive down. I had no more rocking, without realizing it i would be at 70 mph and no problems at all. I have not been able to tell a major difference flex wise from the hiems to bushing. But if i was to recommended this upgrade to anyone i would say bushing for the win.

THINGS I WOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENT:
1 thing to note is Do not weld grade 8 bolts it will make them brittle.
If not for the doubler I would have tied the arms into the transmission cross member.
Make sure when measuring the length needed the axle is in proper location. we had to do some grinding in the end.

hope this helps for those who are wanting to extend there radius arms. I apologize for the vagueness of some areas if you need some more details or pics just ask and I can snap some up for you.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A problem that I am having or have been having since i got the truck is a binding problem, in the rear coming from the drive shaft. I believe it originates from to much angle change in the axle or transfercase. I currently have 4in lift blocks in the rear and would like to ditch those for set of leaves. I am hoping this fixes almost all of the issues. Something else i think would help is if i build a better or another cross member that tied into the transfer case as well as the transmission to keep there from being to much overall movement of the drivetrain.
These are 2 areas that I dont have the most experience but i think i can figure out the cross member. But the leaves i have no idea. I am wondering if its better to buy a complete pack already built or should i try to bastard a pack together. If buy packs where and which ones. If a bastard pack is the way then how or where do i look to get started on that. 6in is about how much lift i will need. I can get under and do some more measurements this upcoming week.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Man those are some good looking radius arms. I'll be making a matching set for my Ranger soon.

The arms that were replaced were scary; the welds were terrible and they looked like they were ready to snap in half.

Can't wait to go wheeling with that rig.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I think if you get rid of the blocks and fix the bushing on the traction bar it'll help with the binding of the driveshaft, as the pinion angle won't change as much and we'll be able to get the angles dialed in.

Skyjacker makes 4" and 6" leaf packs, FR34S and FR36S. I haven't used them so I can't speak to their quality or how much lift they actually provide. They are around $200 a piece.

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have the 6in one in my cart I just gotta man up and buy them

P93suafilo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 89, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I got to looking at the rear and I need to decide what size springs to get. I currently have a set of shackles and then a 4in block. So I wonder if I should get 4in springs or 6in springs.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I believe the 4" springs are listed as a 4" lift with the factory 2" blocks.

Get the 6" ones.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals