• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Explorer SOHC - rough running, need help

SolidSnake84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi folks,

My wife's 1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC, 4X4, just hit 170,000 miles a few weeks ago, all was well up until that point. The engine runs smooth, has no motor noises at all. Still plenty of power, and it doesn't leak oil or use any fluids. Now that cold weather has arrived, it seems it has developed some issues until the engine warms up:

Rough idle when cold - motor starts up, revs up to about 2,000 RPM, then stumbles, motor bucks and shakes below 800 RPM, and has a surging idle. This will go away in a few minutes as the engine gets warmer.

Cannot accelerate beyond 35 mph - even with pedal floored, the motor has no power and cannot get beyond 35 mph. The engine is not revving high, but quite the contrary - you cannot get the RPMs past about 1,800. But be ready, with the pedal on the floor, when the motor finally "catches", it will chirp the tires and throw you back into the seat from the sudden acceleration.

No codes from the engine during any of this. I verified that the check engine light does work, its just not throwing codes. Here is what I have replaced so far:

Plugs & Wires (Motorcraft)
MAF Sensor (Motor Craft)
IAC Valve (Napa)
Throttle Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor

Friends are telling me I need a new EGR Valve - one guy says his explorer did the same thing and it ended up being the engine ?!?!

What do the "experts" on here think??

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Have you checked the injectors, what's the fuel pressure doing? Could be fuel pump or dirty injectors. Things that don't throw codes are a pain to fix. Carbon buildup on EGR or cat may be clogged too. Have you put any cleaner through the fuel system? Just throwing some ideas your way.

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Almost sounds like a stopped up catalytic converter

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Almost sounds like a stopped up catalytic converter
A stopped up converter would not, "But be ready, with the pedal on the floor, when the motor finally "catches", it will chirp the tires and throw you back into the seat from the sudden acceleration."

Does it ever get well without the peddle on the floor? The computer ignores all the sensors with WOT so it will not set codes. It just dumps as much fuel into it as the injectors will flow. So low fuel pressure would really make things bad (lots of air, no fuel, you get the idea).

I agree, check the fuel pressure, no or low pressure, no go.

It sounds like maybe the pump is sort of intermittent. It finally does its thing and away you go. On my 02 Ranger 4L, it would idle low on cold start and then get well (until it died completely). If the engine gets below about 400 rpm the computer will shut the pump off for safety; but, it does not monitor fuel pressure (sort of like if you have it, good; if not, it won't run and you will figure it out).

Oh, and I'm no expert!!

Last edited:

SolidSnake84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes - it does "get well" if you let it warm up 10-15 minutes before driving it.

All of the above mentioned problems happen when cold.

We are leaning towards the intake gaskets being bad, but have no way to really prove it. With engine cold, spraying carb cleaner, etc, around the intake area has no effect.

It has been to dealerships and hooked up to the various machines, etc, and no one can diagnose what it is. I have been told by some to just 'live with it", as there is no real way to diagnose the problem. We have been going the replace parts route, and so far not much left to replace.

Living with it might be the best option because like i said, it runs perfect and great when it gets warmed up. Just with cold temperatures it is a bear to start and keep running, until it warms up....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals