• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going to look at a 2003 Ranger with possible bad 4.0 engine

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I found a 2003 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0. I currently have 02 Ranger with a 3.0 and would prefer a 4.0 as well as a styleside box not stepside. Anyways this 2003 Ranger I am interested in is not running and I was told it possibly is a timing issue. I was told it turns over but will not fire. My question is this. I see that it is a interference motor and there is a good chance of it having a bent valve or worse bent rod. Looking at parts alone just for a timing kit is around $350. Being that the truck has 200k miles but is in great shape otherwise it may just be wise if I can get it at a good price to replace the motor. Now about 7 years ago I bought My 02 with a bad valve in the 3.0 OHV engine and found a Taurus motor with 57k on it for only $250 where the ranger engines where around $800. Thihs seems to be the case with the 4.0 Ranger engine.

I have found a 2002 Explorer 4.0 for $450 otherwise I found a Ranger engine with 92k miles for $1100. So the question is can I swap out any 4.0 SOHC engine from other models like a Explorer or Mustang? Also what is a fair price to pay for a 2003 Ranger with 200k miles 4x4 auto in good condition a little rust? Thanks for your time guys.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
All the SOHC engines are basically the same. You will probably need you use the accessories from the receiving truck; but, long block will be the same.

I would change the timing chain stuff on the new engine just to be sure you don't get the fun of pulling the engine again.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
With it not running I would start by offering $500 and hope to pay between $800 and $1000. You can't tell if this thing has any other mechanical problems like a bad trans or a blow up diff without it running.

I can think of a dozen things that aren't timing related that could keep it from starting, and that wouldn't require an engine, so if you can buy it and find the problem and fix it, even if the fix is an engine, that's still a good deal.

And yes, you an use any 4.0 SOHC. Actually the Mustang is going to be a lot closer than the Explorer engine, the Explorers had their own intake, the Ranger and Mustang had the same intake but different throttle bodies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals