• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaking / smell anti freeze.

EhToke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pickup 2WD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I just did the Water pump on 92 ford ranger a week ago ran fine and such in the garage didnt notice anything wrong with it parked it warmed it up a few days later drove around parked realised its dripping again.

Cant see the leak again, its slow and sometimes doesnt even come up? Iv drove around parked and such had engine running not running and even parked at home over night it seems todo it more so when parked and randomly when driven.

Another thing smell anti freeze lightly in the cab? no film on Window and not a strong oder.

No anti freeze in oil, Heater works fine when i have it topped up havent ran it empty on Anti freeze yet. Ill check back tomorrow i more wanna hear what ideas could be behind it just incase im over looking something possibly a weakness in the engine block itself as as in alum / cast iron. idk..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could only leak when system has pressure which is after about 15-20min of driving.

UV dye might help, leaves a residue that can only be seen with a UV light shining on it, so no dye marks on engine or ??

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just did a water pump on mine a couple weeks ago. I 'd start by checking all the hose clamps and go from there. did you clean off the antifreeze from taking the pump off might still be lurking from taking the old one off?

EhToke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pickup 2WD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hi i didnt get into my parents garage today. Its surely leaking winter here in Canada and with light snow woke up today with a 2 foot around melt spot under the engine "prop not all anti freeze cause its warm anti and not every cold out with no ice on my street". Tried to locate the source by looking for frozen cold areas on the engine cant find any that would be a source for anti freeze just some snow/moisture frozen areas. Ran it filled it up with some Anti freeze "no warning lights have came on either before" dribbled and stops still cant locate it. Doesn't seem to be coming from the Thermostat housing nor the water pump or the Rad and hosing connected to them as i could tell it seems to come from the block prop a Gasket of some sort i hope hopefully not like i said cast iron and aluminium pieces put together will eat away.. so hopefully not the block itself im pretty new to engine work i can work on them just never been in alot and this ranger is a new type for me. No anti freeze in Oil and i dont have a blown head gask on this truck either. comes from the left side? Also side note would heating be involved in this at all like defrost/foot heating the cab?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If possible drive to a mall or ?? that has covered/underground parking, find a clean spot, i.e. no oil or water stains in that parking space, engine needs to be completely warmed up.
Park there, put pencils, piece of ?? in front of each front tire.
Go have lunch or shop or ??, whatever for 30min.

Back truck out of the space and then look for coolant on the ground, it will look different than water that was dripping from rain/snow, or evaporator(under front of cab) passenger side.

Pencils are a way to determine location of coolant drip after moving the truck

EhToke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pickup 2WD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
RonD, tomorrow im going to my parents hosue early for Xmas also to work on the truck their to kill time til supper lol, ill post pictures as i can on what im dealing with ill let it sit cold and run it their. Quickly mark with a box my tires and other truck location marks on the cardboard box and then let it sit/ let garage warm up. and then see from their. ill post tomorrow morning/lunch.

Thanks

EhToke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pickup 2WD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
http://imgur.com/xRtrxrs

the focused in part is where i can see steam no leak. I go under the truck no hoses or anything once again not the oil. I couldnt get a clear under pictuire its coming from the top. The Water pump is fine.

From the picture here where it is focused in in one part, i could see steam, above that a couple inches by the Valve covers/intake manifold., i believe is a leak. what around their could be causing the isssue?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals