• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 4.0 new heads

californicated

Reaction score
sunny southern california high desert hesperia
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys i have a question for you all i recently put new heads on my 4.0 and i am loosing coolant and i'm not sure exactly from where its not that much of a leak i have pulled the spark plugs and there is no sign of any coolant from what i can tell they all look the same i also checked compression and that is normal i also replaced the thermostat there is no visible signs of coolant leaking from hose, gaskets,radiator, res tank there is no puddle on the ground the truck runs great i dont smell coolant from exhaust also replaced rad cap the temp gauge is normal temp when driving today after driving most all day long i shut the engine off and was sitting there for about five mins and i hear a thump and rumble from under the hood sounded like it was boiling over the thump is hard enough i can feel iton the floor board of the truck it hammers hard the truck was at normal temp when i shut the engine off i open the hood no sign of boil over water in res tank is the same its cold and dark now even with a flash light i cant see any leaks or steam when it cooled i check coolant in radiator and it was top off like i said i loose coolant not alot but after all the time and money spent i just want some peice of mind i have never heard the thumpimg sound it only happens after i shut the engine off i also made sure i have no air in the coolant and the heatercore is new as well canyou tell me why my truck makes that thumping after i shut it off the engine thanks in advance

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is probably only leaking under pressure, i.e. after engine warms up and cooling system gets some pressure inside.
And then it is leaking onto something warm, so doesn't drip to the ground much, just evaporates.

Google: uv dye kit

You can add the Ultra Violet dye to coolant, motor oil, trans oil, axle oil, freon, pretty much anything, it is a neutral product, won't hurt anything.

Run it a week or so and then use a UV light to find the residue from the dye.
UV dye is popular because it doesn't show up without UV light on it so no visible stains.
But you can use almost any dye to do this same thing.

Radiator can get small pressure leaks, and if at the top it rarely drips to the bottom and onto the ground

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals