• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 2.9 help!!!

rata209

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1989 ford Ranger 4x4 xlt that is having some shaking issues. A little back ground within the pase couple years the transmission went out and i had it rebuilt and it only has about 10,000 miles on it since then. The problem i am having is when i take off from a complete stop i get a shake that feels like it starts right under the center consle and works its way back till its gone at about 10 to 15mph. I have checked and changed almost everything. I changed all the ujoints replaced the main drive line and had tires balanced. I am leaning toward something being wrong with the transfer case posibly not properly adjusted(can they even be adjusted?)corectly. the reason why i think this is becasue when i put it in 4wd it will shake violently when i turn kind of like the shake that i feel on take off nust on steroids. Can some one please HELP or steer me in the right direction.

THANK YOU

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Does it have auto hunts or manual hubs? Have you checked the u-joints in the axels? Is it a automatic or a manual trans?

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Driveshaft u-joints or if its a extended cab check your carrier bearing. Both will cause that. Especialy the carrier bearing.

cmr2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
checked the tranny mount bolts ,fly plate ,nothing there ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals