• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Orange gunk

Buggyman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

Have not posted here in years, I swapped the motor out of my ranger 5 years ago and posted a lot. I since gave the truck to my brother who drove it till that motor blew and now I have my truck back.

The body is a 1998 Ranger that is in great shape aside from 300k miles.

The motor is a 00' 3.0 V6 Flex fuel motor that I put in and swapped the fuel injectors. Motor ran great for awhile then orange gunk started showing up in the coolant which is exactly what the original 3.0 engine did. I cannot recall what type of coolant I used in either engine. I have found a few donor motors on craigslist that I am considering but I would like to know why both of these motors had the same coolant problem.

The "gunk" was typically orange and had specs in it and would accumulate on top of the radiator cap, it had the consistency of mud and I do not recall it feeling or looking oily. I never placed any additives to the coolant system and I flushed the cooling system multiple times and used distilled water with coolant that was recommended for that engine.

Thanks for any advice, sorry I do not have more details, my hands have been off this truck for awhile now. Also, would it be better to find a "new" used motor or seek to rebuild the original engine? It had about 240k miles and it lost compression on one cylinder along with cooling issues listed above.

Thanks for the time,

Philip

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Don't, of course, know what your gunk is; but, mixing different types of coolant often causes gunk. I have seen it as thick as pudding.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals