• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motor swap

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Not sure if right area for this but I had a 1999 ranger 3.0 flex fuel engine hooked to a manual trans that I needed to stick in a 1998 ranger that had a 3.0 non flex fuel automatic trans in it.

All went well with the swap everything works as it should runs fine other than I have both banks running rich.

Would the computer be the issue in this case?

I have a exhaust leak before rear cat in front of rear o2 sensor (single pipe out ) maybe that's the issue?

Fuel pressure regulator?
Thanks in advance.
James

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Flex fuel engine has larger injectors for running methanol/ethanol, the non-flex computer is having to close the injectors sooner than it's parameters(program) says it should, that would come up as "rich code".
I.E. each time the larger injectors are opening, more fuel is flowing in than computer expects.

Computer reads MAF data to get amount of air coming into engine
Computer calculates 14:1 air:fuel ratio based on that amount of air
Computer has preset parameters for fuel pressure and injector size, so it "knows" that opening an injector for 1 second = XX amount of fuel will flow in
Computer opens each injector for a specific time to release the calculated amount of fuel needed
Computer gets O2 sensor data to determine if fuel burn was Lean or Rich

Upstream O2 sensors are located just after exhaust manifolds and before Cat converters, these are the main sensors for "fuel trim"
What sets Lean or Rich codes are the open time for the injectors, the engine is not running Rich or Lean, because computer changes the open time based on Upstream O2 data.
If computer is having to close injectors to soon then it sets the code Rich because it detects a problem with it's calculation or the system.
If computer has to open injectors too long then it would set a Lean code for the same reason.

If you have the original '98 fuel rail then you can swap in those injectors

Downstream O2 sensors, after Cats, are used to determine if Cats are working, and they also are used to adjust Long term fuel trims, these are used when engine first starts cold and to check short term variables.
So no, an exhaust leak there wouldn't cause the "rich" code

Last edited:

jcwilliams

Reaction score
That was a awesome post. I appreciate the input.
I'm going to swap out the rails and see what I get. I didn't think about the injectors being bigger.
Thanks a lot

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals