• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

getting technical. sub stuff.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
amp: (already have it)
Pioneer GM-7100M

Specifications
o Peak Music Power: 800 Watts
o Number of Channels: 1
o Load Impedance Capability: 2~8 Ohm
o Continuous Power (4 ohm): 250W x 1
o Continuous Power (2 ohm): 360W x 1
o Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 240Hz
o Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.008%
o Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100dB
o Channel # Capability: 1
o Balanced Isolator Input Circuit
o Input Level Control: Hi-Volt (200mV ~ 6.5v)
o Built-in Crossover: Selectable LPF
o Bass Level Control: 50Hz, 0/6/9/12dB

subs: (not dead set but it's what i've had my eye on)
i want to run 2
Rockford Fosgate P1S415
-15 inch SVC
-Impedance 4 ohms
-Ideal Ported Box Volume (cubic feet) 2.66
-Port diameter (inches) 4
-Port length (inches) 8
-Sensitivity 87 dB at 1 watt
-Frequency Response 24 - 250 Hz
-RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-200
-Peak Power Handling (Watts) 400
-Top Mount Depth (inches) 6 5/8
-Bottom Mount Depth (inches) N/A
-Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 13 7/8
-Vas (liters) 172
-Fs (Hz) 24
-Qts 0.62
-Xmax (millimeters) 8

what i need to know:
-i want to build a simple rectangular ported box. if the recommended volume for one sub is 2.66, a box for both should be 5.32 cubic feet total. right?
-what frequency should the box be tuned to? i've read 33 hz should be good.
-what size port?
-how deep does it need to be in the box?
-Are the subs and amp a good match?
-subs should be fine if wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load, or no?
-tell me what needs to be done.
-if i'm missing any info that is needed, ask and you shall receive.

cappin90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998, 1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 460
Transmission
Automatic
i highly recommend running 2 12s or 2 10s instead of 2 15s. youll get better sound quality and your amp will be happier plus itll be easier to fit them.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
To answer your wiring question...

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i highly recommend running 2 12s or 2 10s instead of 2 15s. youll get better sound quality and your amp will be happier plus itll be easier to fit them.
Thats a retarded statement.

That amp on those subs would be fine. however fitting 2 15s in a ranger comfortably wont be easy if your wanting to keep it below the back glass.

The suggested box size is after all displacements by the port and the subs btw. Best bet is to go to caraudioclassifieds.org and look through the free box plans or have someone there design you one.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i would get one dvc comp 12 or comp 15. it will save you so much room and be just as loud (i got one high excursion 12 and a 750 watt amp and i love it)

oh and whatever you get you should run it at 2 ohms

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your worried about fiting the 2 15s in ur truck look at my old build log i put an 18 inch treo csx that weighs 80 lbs in my truck and its still below the window and actuly looks very nice and there is deffinetly enof room to put 2 15s in the box instead you might want to look into areo ports for your box so u can adjust the tuning if you dont like how it sounds

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had 10's and 12's. i want more. and besides, every one and their g-mama has two 12's.
but two 15's, its different.

To answer your wiring question...
thanks bud. thats what i thought

Thats a retarded statement.

That amp on those subs would be fine. however fitting 2 15s in a ranger comfortably wont be easy if your wanting to keep it below the back glass.

The suggested box size is after all displacements by the port and the subs btw. Best bet is to go to caraudioclassifieds.org and look through the free box plans or have someone there design you one.
i would get one dvc comp 12 or comp 15. it will save you so much room and be just as loud (i got one high excursion 12 and a 750 watt amp and i love it)

oh and whatever you get you should run it at 2 ohms
i guess i forgot to mention this wont be for a ranger (i dont even own a ranger). also this isnt going in my B2. it's for my dakota. :eek: so space is still somewhat of an issue. but removing the back seat should solve this.

if your worried about fiting the 2 15s in ur truck look at my old build log i put an 18 inch treo csx that weighs 80 lbs in my truck and its still below the window and actuly looks very nice and there is deffinetly enof room to put 2 15s in the box instead you might want to look into areo ports for your box so u can adjust the tuning if you dont like how it sounds
i looked up your "threads started" and only came up with 2. both were about speakers but neither really explained any calculations or box design :icon_confused: maybe i missed it?

-i want to build a ported box.
i feel like if i divide the box it will be easier to calculate volume and port sizes. (maybe?) and i think it will make it slightly more study. so essentially i'll make two boxes that are stuck together that need to be 2.66 cubic feet after taking away for bracing and port volume.
-slotted port. i like the look of them better vs pvc pipe or a horn looking port.

once again-

what i need to know:
-what should the box be tuned to? i've read 33 hz is pretty good.
-what size port?
-how deep does it need to be in the box?
-will 2x2 for bracing in all the corners be sufficient?
what i mean by in the corners is- the corners made by the:
top panel and side panel
top and front
top and back
side and front
side and back
make sense?
or should i do something else like triangle wedges in the corners?
-tell me what needs to be done.

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the thread should be titled sub box and there isent any spefics just picturs and as far as bracing on the corners thats not needed just use 3/4 mdf glue and staple it together if you are botherd that your joints arnt close enof mabie some gaps put some pl on the joints after youve put it together but you should have no problems as far as the port ild try for 30 you can always cut your ports shorter to tune higher probly two 3 inches in each box or a single 4 in each box you can pick em up on madisound.com

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh dident read you said you wanted to do slot ports then just tune it to 33 and the woofers should say how much port area they need then ild say add a little this is a site you should look at http://www.reaudio.com/box.php

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals