• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pitman arms and steering boxes

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a few questons about pitman arms and steering boxes i cant seem to find answers to.

First off is there any diffrence between a manual steering box output shaft (splines, or the diameter) and a power steering box in a early ranger?

Second, is there a diffrence in a 2wd and a 4wd factory pitman arm?

Third, i've seen some companys selling seprate droped pitman arms for a manual and power steering boxes, while other places just have one droped arm listed. Is this because of a diffrent size steering box shaft, or are they diffrent lengths for easier steering effort in the cab, and the places selling just the one type are assuming that its going on a power steering truck?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The manual and power boxes do have different splines (IIRC the manual does not have the indexing splines).

2WD Ranger arms are almost flat, most 4WD arms have a 2" drop compared to the 2WD arm.
Aftermarket arms are available with 2" or 4" additional drop over that of the 4WD arm.

The vast majority of arms are made for the power box (the manual one is pretty much obsolete now).

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well does anyone know who sells a drop pitman arm for a manual box, and a 6in lift? or can a power arms locating splines be machined or filed out to fit the manual box?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I think Superlift would be your best hope, if anyone has one.

Keep in mind if they do have it, it'll only be 2" dropped (or 4" compared to a 2WD), not 6", so you'll have to limit your lift height to that if you don't want to deal with bumpsteer or accelerated tire wear.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just out of curiosity, WHY would you want to run manual steering on a lifted truck? Power steering is SO easy to swap in... and CHEAP... you can get a steering sector from ANY 80-96 Ford truck, and pump, hoses, and brackets from a junkyard, and have power steering.

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i guess i just like bein a little diffrent. same reason i converted my 2wd ranger to 4x4, leaving the manual steering, and non-power brakes. Took out a good running, but high mile 2.9 for a carb2.3. The motors stock rite now, but i have an adjustable upper timing gear, cam, header, and a 2500cc stroker setup to put on. when i pull the motor for a rebuild im thinking about making an intake for a pair of these old sidedraft webers my uncle gave me. it just seems like any lifted ranger around me either runs a bone stock 2.9, or a real healthy 302. i just like having somthing that isint exactly mainstream.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Oh yeah, that's totally cool. I'd love to have a lifted 4 cylinder Ranger... I was just curious why no power steering. Not having it is a DEFINITE disadvantage offroad.

I think it's cool you're running manual brakes - you should run drums all the way around...seriously...they are a huge mechanical advantage over discs

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya, manual steering was ok until i got a powertrax for the front (a dana28, but im working on getting either a dana35 from my one friend, or a 72ish bronco dana44 from another friend) now steering offroad is a little harder. main reason i wana keep manual steering is bc im a little worried about how much power the pump would take off the motor when stuck in a rut, trying to turn, and feathering the clutch. the little 2.3 isint a real power house!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The lowest gears you can possibly get are going to be your best bet with the 2.3. I would do the D44, leave the drum brakes on it, and a narrow 9" in the back. I believe the lowest gear set you can get for both is 5.89 and that is definitely what I'd run with a 2.3.

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya thers a lot i wana do as far as axles. problem is im going to school right now, so funds are limited, and school is allmost 300 miles from home. im running 3.73 now,and with 30's it puts me at bout 2400rpm doing 70mph. ive got it setup good for what im doing, but if i found a 4.10 pig for the front id put that in and my 4.10 8.8 i have at home. id rather have a truck i can drive to the other end of the state, and have just a small handicap when i go wheeling. after all whats the point of having a rig that you cant drive how you want to?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals