• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 bronco ii eddie bauer 4x4 wont engage

dclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6 Naturally Aspirated
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so i have been working on this thing for a while now tinkering with it trying to get it going. it has the overhead console 4x4 switch.

so here is the issue i have taken the electric motor off of the transfer case and it is working i hard wired it up to the battery and it will roll it all the way one way. you reverse polarity and it will take it all the way back the other direction.
at this point i know the electric motor is good.

I took off the overhead console to check the switches and they are both in good operation. i even cleaned the little computer board that they are on.

so what it is doing when you hit the button to engage it into four wheel drive you can hear clicking under the passenger side of the dash. i pulled that little computer looking thing out from underneath the dash and i found no problems with it. also kind of curious if anyone knows what that box under the dash is?:icon_cheers:

i can manually lock it into four wheel drive and it works but not when i push the button i have checked all the fuses under the steering wheel on the dash and they are all good. nothing on that fuse panel info sticker says anything about four wheel drive. anyway i am up for any kind of ideas of how to get this thing going.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
here's the problem, it's electric, go get a manual t-case from someone and you dont have to worry about it anymore

dclark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6 Naturally Aspirated
Transmission
Automatic
that would be wonderful if i had the money to do that but local salvage yards are wanting 200 dollars just for the transfer case not including the shifter rod, knob, boot. so i would say it would be around three hundred dollars to go that route......

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Man, where do you live, and what kind of crack are those JY owners smoking. That is way too much for a used t-case.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah i know JY's around me quoted $250 pulled. i found one from a guy on here that lives not too far from me, $100 with shift linkage. i'm sure can find one on here, they're always getting posted.

with my t-case i had a choice, spend $90 on a new shift motor or $100 on a new (to me) case. i still have the auto hubs (for now) so i dont have to get out of the car to engage 4wd, i'm sure it break eventually tho.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could always get one of those Shiftsters thats in in the products forum.

You just have to crawl under your truck to shift into 4wd.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals