• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford teases the new Bronco

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The older I get the more I appreciate a automatic transmission ... but I still love a manual transmission.
Mainly because of $150 or less for a clutch kit vs $2800+ for a rebuild on these newer 6-10 speed autos.
Ive come to trust autos more over the years, even though every single O/D one ive had (mostly E4ODs) have given me trouble though. My 97 hasnt, yet, but i wont hold my breath.

Never had an issue with the numerous C6s ive had, or the couple FMXs.

Ill never trust anything though as much as an old T18 4sp

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whatever is under that cover has round fenders.

Troller reminds me of a Geo Tracker.
And judging by the proportions I would say it is a 2dr too.

Why are y'all so hellbent on manual transmissions ? The Ranger is going to have the Trail Control option to have cruise control at 1 mph. Seems a lot better than burning up clutches on difficult trails.
Manual is more fun to drive, I don't have trails or stop and go so given the option I would pick manual too. Heck, hoping to be converting my current truck this summer. :icon_twisted:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The wife likes it; might not be buying '19 Ranger after all.

She wants manual and more 1st generation Bronco style than blatant Jeep.

This would replace the '02 Explorer Sport 1:1.

As it is RBV, I could continue to hang out around here. :)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Why are y'all so hellbent on manual transmissions ? The Ranger is going to have the Trail Control option to have cruise control at 1 mph. Seems a lot better than burning up clutches on difficult trails.
You go buy yourself one with Trail Control then.
I do not need nor want some computerized thing driving (or shifting) for me, I want to drive it myself.

(and not that it really matters, but this thread was about the Bronco, not the Ranger... but the same applies either way)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I think I heard somewhere they are planning the Bronco in 2020, and another new vehicle smaller than the Bronco later on that will be Ranger based...so are they bringing back the Bronco 2 as well?

Doesn't seem like this new Bronco will be based on anything currently offered? Would be be close to what the F150 Raptor is possibly?

This will be interesting to see what they decide, but they really need to look at the original and offer it with a V6 and a V8 with auto & manual transmission options, otherwise its going to turn off a lot of those wanting a Jeep alternative...I like Jeeps, but lately I've really been wanting a Bronco...mostly a 60's or early 70's size.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
You go buy yourself one with Trail Control then.
I do not need nor want some computerized thing driving (or shifting) for me, I want to drive it myself.

(and not that it really matters, but this thread was about the Bronco, not the Ranger... but the same applies either way)
Hey man I am old school also but gotta accept progress. It's 2018.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey man I am old school also but gotta accept progress. It's 2018.
Knowing how to do it is most of the fun. Otherwise it is like taking a forklift to the gym to lift weights for you.

You do not HAVE to use it though.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Knowing how to do it is most of the fun. Otherwise it is like taking a forklift to the gym to lift weights for you.

You do not HAVE to use it though.

This made me LMAO

Either way, no you dont have to accept it. Save your money and buy used. Ive been DDing a 40 yesr old truck for the last 5 years. How did i drive in the winter without ABS or trac control? How did i tow stuff without built in engine braking or electronic sway control? How did i ever manage to paraell park without park assist? Back up without a camera? Drive the freeway without lane departure or blind spot detection? Survive without built in connectivity?

According to NHTSA, IIHS, and hell the OEs i shoulda been dead in the first 5 miles.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
This made me LMAO

Either way, no you dont have to accept it. Save your money and buy used. Ive been DDing a 40 yesr old truck for the last 5 years. How did i drive in the winter without ABS or trac control? How did i tow stuff without built in engine braking or electronic sway control? How did i ever manage to paraell park without park assist? Back up without a camera? Drive the freeway without lane departure or blind spot detection? Survive without built in connectivity?

According to NHTSA, IIHS, and hell the OEs i shoulda been dead in the first 5 miles.
Your answer would be Common Sense, and knowing how to drive, both are very lacking in today's world. That's cute that your car can park itself, but you still can't drive worth shit if all that electronic garbage was taken out of most drivers' cars today they couldn't get themselves across town.

I'm with you, I drive older vehicles as well, so yep according to all the "statistics" we should have died in a horrific car crash years ago. I think I'll keep driving my older vehicles, you know the ones that will still be in one piece after a wreck because they're made out of steel, not recycled beer cans or recycled plastic bottles like today's bloated vehicles are made out of.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Your answer would be Common Sense, and knowing how to drive, both are very lacking in today's world. That's cute that your car can park itself, but you still can't drive worth shit if all that electronic garbage was taken out of most drivers' cars today they couldn't get themselves across town.

I'm with you, I drive older vehicles as well, so yep according to all the "statistics" we should have died in a horrific car crash years ago. I think I'll keep driving my older vehicles, you know the ones that will still be in one piece after a wreck because they're made out of steel, not recycled beer cans or recycled plastic bottles like today's bloated vehicles are made out of.
Cue the crumple zone warriors :rolleyes:

But hey, i am upgrading, my new DD is an 87 ranger. Not that the old 77 F250 is bad, but, feeding a 400 93 gets pricey.

My newest truck is a 97, and it will stay that way for the bioncular foreseeable future.

But yes, i totally agree with you about common sense. Ive always been a firm believer that ANY vehicle is only as safe/capable as the guy (or gal) at the wheel.

Some guy whos never driven on a dirt road can go drop 40k for some "terrian command" equipped whatever, and think hes Trail king Tim, untill some ol boy who grew up in the backcountry passes him on the trail driving a rusted out 1100 dollar square body chevy.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually it is a pretty cool system. Much akin to how I get my tractor thru tough spots by playing with the differential brakes.

A serious offroader will likely be locked at both ends and not really care though (like 4x4Junkie)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Cue the crumple zone warriors :rolleyes:

But hey, i am upgrading, my new DD is an 87 ranger. Not that the old 77 F250 is bad, but, feeding a 400 93 gets pricey.

My newest truck is a 97, and it will stay that way for the bioncular foreseeable future.

But yes, i totally agree with you about common sense. Ive always been a firm believer that ANY vehicle is only as safe/capable as the guy (or gal) at the wheel.

Some guy whos never driven on a dirt road can go drop 40k for some "terrian command" equipped whatever, and think hes Trail king Tim, untill some ol boy who grew up in the backcountry passes him on the trail driving a rusted out 1100 dollar square body chevy.
Dude. I'm in Arkansas. I was actually born at home on a dirt/gravel road. I grew up logging and sawmilling. There are county roads all over this area that will never be paved or improved, and they are on the map. Can't get much more country than I am. I also do not need all that fancy stuff, but I like my F150s.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Dude. I'm in Arkansas. I was actually born at home on a dirt/gravel road. I grew up logging and sawmilling. There are county roads all over this area that will never be paved or improved, and they are on the map. Can't get much more country than I am. I also do not need all that fancy stuff, but I like my F150s.
I grew up in north east tenn, never was trrying to attack you personally, and you can like your F series (i like them to, as long as they got I beams and an engine still moatly reffered to by its cubic inches)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
A good driver and the right gears thats not an issue.

Manuals are much more kind when it comes to abuse, less parastic loss, dont have to really worry about heat...

A 6sp manual with a granny low would be perfect.

this would need context for me. the type of abuse the trans itself will take??....or the type of abuse the drivetrain will be subjected to?

none of the normal manuals are stronger then a c6 or th400 after you overwhelm clutch capacity, this is in a stock application.

you tend to easily destroy the drivetrain of any 1/2 ton with a t18 when at the tractive limits all things being equal to the c6 much more quickly....say crawling with a stock 79 bronco even with smallish 35 inch tires.

autos.....when actively engaging off road conditions requiring a good driver with the right gears, are much nicer to the rest of the drivetrain and less abusive.

these current autos and computer gee gaws offer this in a next level catagory.

a 435, t18 or t 19 could outlast the owner without opening it up driven and maintained correctly over a ridiculous amount of miles.....no auto is gonna do that...:D

this was a topic of discussion for final personal vehicles.. i would rather have a 435 with possibly gv overdrive style unit then a zf5 or 6 or the nv4500.

of course with serious power the older models then show some weakness. my ideal 4x4 e350 (ttb of course) with a cummins - np435 - od unit - np 205 would be fine with a 300 hp mech 12 v.

step that into a 24 valve 5-600hp 4 digit torque cummins and the allison looks better. the older units would twist off input shafts pretty easily with the high end clutch capacity.

at least thats what was happening with built big blocks when actual power was on tap......everybody went to c6 and turbo 400 gm units once we started building real power and 40 inch tires got involved....with lower power it remains a non issue though.

the older shit seems better...but you have to remember they were subjected to much less power and loads.

chassis wise there are some exceptions depending on perspective.

looking at at it from the rustbelt perspective.

time has proven the gen 1 ranger is/was the best built little truck by light years......

nothing holds a candle to the chassis strength...sure, the ttb d28 axles were ghey, and the a4ld can go choke on a bag of diks...but the rest of it was tough as it gets.

outside of the rustbelt...the later engineering has its merits and stronger then ever till the corrosion fairy shows up. if they kept the steel the same they would be longer lived then cockroaches.. but they didnt....and i think that was on purpose...

so i dont mind composites ect coming into the fray...

regardless, like many here....

manual transmissions and straight axle 4x4s with lockouts will be welcome to me as well for a secondary utility vehicle. but i do i prefer an auto for a daily driver.

and my dailydriver is as cave pig as it gets for creature comforts and safety features....the seatbelts still sort of work but the drivers side is worn out again.....and the wipers workish....horn died and still have not replaced. ireally need to fix that...

gauranteed to lock brakes....you will have that with a cave pig model.....

wander down the road like a drunken cow....

drive prudently. :thefinger:

and one of the taurii in the yard was replaced with a fresh escape this week.

i find the escape acceptable....but the explorer and edge are much more fitting.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i dont mind composites ect coming into the fray...
Newer CIH combines have color injected into the plastic body panels. You can pound on it with a hammer, scratch it with a screwdriver... it all buffs out. I wish that would catch on in the automotive world.

Stuff is made from soybeans too. :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals