• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel injector leaking issues

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Hi I have a 98 4.0 ohv, I found out a few months ago the #4 injector was leaking so I replaced it with a standard motor products injector. My issue was hard starting while hot. After putting in the new injector it still would have a hard time starting when hot, but I gave up and today I decided to investigate. I pulled all the plugs out and every cylinder was clean (no fuel in it) except the #4 again. I put it in clear flooded mode and had my dad look at 1 bank at a time, and sure enough #4 sprayed fuel out. Plus the plug was gunked up with carbon. All the other plugs are immaculate.

So I'm thinking now it could be a wiring issue or something, maybe it's being held open? Or maybe I got a defective part. Anyone got any ideas?

Dazzlin' Dave

06/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is it the same size injector? Might wanna check the lbs/hr rate, if it's a higher cap inj, it'll spray more fuel than the others.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
I'm gonna run a couple tests but I'm thinking of throwing a motorcraft part in there to be sure

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
How hard is it to replace a single fuel injector 4.0 OHV

Hi I have a 98 4.0 ohv, I found out a few months ago the #4 injector was leaking so I replaced it with a standard motor products injector. My issue was hard starting while hot. After putting in the new injector it still would have a hard time starting when hot, but I gave up and today I decided to investigate. I pulled all the plugs out and every cylinder was clean (no fuel in it) except the #4 again. I put it in clear flooded mode and had my dad look at 1 bank at a time, and sure enough #4 sprayed fuel out. Plus the plug was gunked up with carbon. All the other plugs are immaculate.

So I'm thinking now it could be a wiring issue or something, maybe it's being held open? Or maybe I got a defective part. Anyone got any ideas?
Your thread kind of ended with issue unresolved so I hope that means you solved your leaky injector problem.
I've got a massive fuel leak on the passenger side of my 99 4.0 but can't tell for sure whether it's the #2 injector or something else. I got this quote from another old thread

Quick easy test for leaking injectors:
Turn key ON(RUN)
Press gas pedal to the floor and hold it there
Turn key to START
Engine should crank but not start or fire, fuel injectors are shut off
Release gas pedal at any time and engine should start normally, injectors back on

If engine fires with gas pedal to the floor then it is getting fuel from somewhere.

If you did a static fuel pressure test and pressure stayed up around 30psi, key off, and didn't continue to drop then there is no leak in the pressure side, i.e. injectors, FPR or fuel pump check valve.

But return lines can leak, no easy test for those, just visual inspection, and run your hand over the line where ever you can and then smell for gas, small leaks won't show on the ground easily but can lower that MPG alot.
I haven't tried these tests but within a couple of seconds after starting my engine there's a steady flow of dripping gas along the passenger side. It looks wet at the #2 injector but there's a flow of fuel at the back of the engine (gravity) There had been a gas smell for a little while before this massive leak developed. I'm probably lucky the thing didn't burst into flames the last time I drove it:stop:

Anyway, if I determine that the #2 injector is the culprit, will I be able to remove it and replace it without tearing the top of the engine off?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals