• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Rust Bucket. [non-rbv]

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Had the Nissan sitting in my backyard for quite some time. Finally decided to do something about it. Mostly it will be used for fun/backup in case the Ranger ever dies. Maybe even used as a winter commuter. 4x4 = winter win.

Here's what I know about it. It has the 2.4 liter Nissan engine. 4x4, and a 5speed. It needs a battery and an alternator. Possibly brakes and definitely tires. It has alot of rust, the frame might need to be bolted or welded. I don't have a welder, so probably bolted. It also needs a new fender because it is smashed in and rubs on the tire, and also needs a pair of doors. The passenger side doesn't open, and the drivers side doesn't close. Go figure.

The doors will be dealt with last. First thing it needs is the alternator and battery of course. The bed is also a problem, because it is so rusted that it hangs down and rubs/smacks the cab. Not only is this a safety issue (could fall off) but it is also very, very, annoying.

Photos:

Cap is no longer on the truck. It was from my Ranger, I put it on there when I was rocking the Nissan's cap. But then I sold that (never should have) and put the old cap back on the Ranger. I hate it, it's ugly. But damn is it roomy and accessible.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cleaned the bed of the truck out. Not only did I get a bunch of cans taken out of it (probably 12 dollars worth or so) but I also managed to get an idea of what I can do with it. I knew the bed had to go but funds are limited so making a flatbed or buying a bed would be hard for me to do. I wouldn't want to do it twice, but luckily I figured something out.

Also, since I plan to put a real bed back on it, maybe I can somehow fab a Ranger bed to fit it. This might also work well with how I want to buy a parts truck for my Ranger. I have seen Ranger beds on Toyotas, and they're prettymuch the same thing right?

Here's my temporary idea.

Blue = No longer connected. (rust)
Red = Area to cut.

The bed is held on primarily by a 4" strip where the tailgate used to be, and the entire wheel well. My plan is to cut the wheelwell at the edge of the fender (so I can keep wheel wells) and then slice it around where the tail light section juts out. Then, I'll just zip tie or screw the tails down onto the metal and call it done. This way, I don't spend ANYTHING at all for the temporary flat bed, and have a semi functional bed. I may also bolt some wood or rails to the bed to try to make it so I can use it for storage as well. I'll never know when I might brake down, I might need it in winter. Can't have sand bags laying on a steel flatbed..

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so what are the plans for it? just getting it running, or are you gonna do something fancy to it?

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Getting it running, maybe getting rid of the purple paint, and keeping it for a backup daily driver. I don't have the funds for a real project right now, most of my projects are restorations of junk to semi decent vehicles. Any spare cash that I get will be used on either College, Life, or the Ranger.

valleyvinyl84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 / 1994
Make / Model
Ford / Chevy
Engine Size
2.0 / 350 CID
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like my 84 when I bought it (the inside of my bed wasn't rusted out tho). A nice resto project is always interesting. Good luck yo. :icon_thumby:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. The main convincing factor in doing the restoration is that the entire truck, despite the rust, only has about 59,000 miles.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My buddy has a 92 standard cab Nissan with a 2.4. It is stock except for a maxed out t-bar crank,longer shackles,and a header. He put 32-11.50" mud tires on it and I have to say that thing is unstoppable! The motor in them things has a rev limiter to like 7200 rpm or something and he bangs it alot out in the mud yet it still runs like a top. Nissan made one hell of a little truck back then :)

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
turbo it and put it in the ranger http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_KA_engine muhahaha
have a truck that last long with a motor that will outlive it
Mmm.. turbo.. tempting, but it would be the truck version of tokyo drift. :icon_rofl:

I may have found a bed for it, not sure if I am going to buy it though unless it is a good bed in my paint code for my Ranger. Then I'd just swap beds and use my Rangers bed for the Nissan. Otherwise, unless it's cheap.. its a no-go.

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
A buddy of mine had the same truck. Dropping the clutch and successively bucking with the throttle, the front wheels would lift off the ground!

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A buddy of mine had the same truck. Dropping the clutch and successively bucking with the throttle, the front wheels would lift off the ground!
Powerful little buggers ain't they?

Anyways, I measured my Ranger bed and the Nissan's bed today. The Ranger bed is 3" longer at the front of the wheel well, if I want it to fit I would have to cut that out of the Ranger bed and weld it back up. I don't really want to do that.. I'll keep an eye out for a Nissan bed, but I think I might just keep the metal flatbed on it.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Powerful little buggers ain't they?

I think I might just keep the metal flatbed on it.
I'd do that too. just find something to bolt around it for support (maybe angle from an old bed frame) and bolt on some low wood sides to help keep stuff in.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd do that too. just find something to bolt around it for support (maybe angle from an old bed frame) and bolt on some low wood sides to help keep stuff in.
That's what I was thinking.

Apparently Nissan wasn't a fan of building stuff that can survive a bored white kid. I shook the hell out of the bed and apparently the fenders are attached to the wheel wells with some sort of epoxy. No wonder it rusted out the way it did. I'm going to scrape it off once I have time and the bedsides should fall right off.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Apparently Nissan wasn't a fan of building stuff that can survive a bored white kid.
:icon_rofl:
neither is dodge.......i need to find a cheap running one to kill

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals