• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 to 8.8 swap

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, figured with winter coming up now would be a good time to rip out my old 7.5, and put a L/S 8.8 in. Found one at the junkyard, with 55k miles. Does anyone know of the diff housings are the same length? I don’t want to have to get a custom driveshaft or anything. Also any tips would be greatly appreciated!

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
I bolted an 8.8" 3L73 from an extended cab 4x4 '97 Ranger right in to my '93 5 speed four cylinder Ranger that had 7.5. Just bolt and go.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The pinion is a little longer on the 8.8, but if you unbolt your driveshaft before you get started and you have about 2" of compression left you should be fine.

Is this a 4x4 or a 4x2 application?

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bolted an 8.8" 3L37 from an extended cab 4x4 '97 Ranger right in to my '93 5 speed four cylinder Ranger that had 7.5. Just bolt and go.
Ok, that’s good to know. Don’t know if it matters, but mine is a 3L73 from an 05, going into a 97.

The pinion is a little longer on the 8.8, but if you unbolt your driveshaft before you get started and you have about 2" of compression left you should be fine.

Is this a 4x4 or a 4x2 application?
4x2. Forgot to put that in the main post.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
1997+ shouldn't be in the year range for flange differences. That's a little older, like 1992 ish and older. As long as you sourced it from another Ranger, and not an FX4 LVLII Ranger without grabbing the u-bolts and plates, you should be in the clear for a bolt in swap.

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1997+ shouldn't be in the year range for flange differences. That's a little older, like 1992 ish and older. As long as you sourced it from another Ranger, and not an FX4 LVLII Ranger without grabbing the u-bolts and plates, you should be in the clear for a bolt in swap.
Honestly I don’t know if it was an FX4 Ranger. The bed was missing at the JY that I got this axle at. Didn’t the FX4 have skid plates under the gas tank? Because this one didn’t for sure.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Honestly I don’t know if it was an FX4 Ranger. The bed was missing at the JY that I got this axle at. Didn’t the FX4 have skid plates under the gas tank? Because this one didn’t for sure.

keep repeating " 4x2 "

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I was under the impression his truck was a 4x2, the donor axle is an unknown. I have a feeling you're safe, it's not the end of the world if you did grab one.

1st, you'd have gotten a stronger axle, congrats! 2nd, you should be able to steal the plates and u-bolts off an Explorer, which is what I did for my 8.8 swap as I have the Explorer axle with the larger axle shafts and tubes. Everything should still bolt up fine for your application, it's just an extra step.

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was under the impression his truck was a 4x2, the donor axle is an unknown. I have a feeling you're safe, it's not the end of the world if you did grab one.

1st, you'd have gotten a stronger axle, congrats! 2nd, you should be able to steal the plates and u-bolts off an Explorer, which is what I did for my 8.8 swap as I have the Explorer axle with the larger axle shafts and tubes. Everything should still bolt up fine for your application, it's just an extra step.
Out of curiosity what is the size of the stock driveshaft? I replaced my U joints recently, and the ones from every auto store didn’t work, because they were too small. I want to say the kind I had to get were for an F150? I don’t remember the exact size. 2.5”?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
1310? Not sure on the sizes, they have their own unique sizing system and I don't have it memorized.

I just unbolted my driveshaft from the pinion flange and bolted it back on the 8.8.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I did an 8.8” swap on my 2000 Ranger. Axle was from a 4x4, my truck was a 4x2, bolted right in. Driveshaft bolted up and all. Really don’t see a problem with your swap.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals