• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 shifting switch

Mainroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi im trying to test my 2008 4x4 shifting switch on the dash. Does anyone know what the ohms of resistance should be or where to find it? It is making a clicking noise but does not always shift in and out of gear and seems to be getting worse.
Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

I can't see the exact OHMs mattering as long as you have 3 different OHM readings as you turn switch to the 3 different settings, the 4x4 module would "know" switch has been turned as voltage changed
Cruise works the same way and of course blower fan

Any "clicking" noise would have to come from the 4x4 control module, it has the relays inside
Switch is just the 3 resistors, they can't make any noise, they can only make "magic" smoke :)

The switch tells the Module what driver has selected so it is just an "input" selection, it doesn't "power" anything, Module then powers the two relays to send 12v/Ground or Ground/12v to the shift motor on transfer case to get it to turn the correct way and to the correct position.
There is a sensor wheel inside the shift motor that tells the Module when motor is in the correct position for 2wd, 4high or 4low, Module cuts power then and turns on the Dash Light for that selection

Last edited:

Bridger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is from my research on a 2001 Ranger that I am having problems with.

Measure the resistance between MSS C284, pin 2, component side and pin 3, component side. Refer to the following
chart:
MSS Position Resistance
2WD 3,705-4,095 Ohms
4WD HIGH 1,045-1,155 Ohms
4WD LOW 342-378 Ohms

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is from my research on a 2001 Ranger that I am having problems with.

Measure the resistance between MSS C284, pin 2, component side and pin 3, component side. Refer to the following
chart:
MSS Position Resistance
2WD 3,705-4,095 Ohms
4WD HIGH 1,045-1,155 Ohms
4WD LOW 342-378 Ohms
Yes, you would unplug the switch's connector, and test the switch itself, the "component"
Pins 1 and 4 are for the back light(dash lights)
Pins 2 and 3 are the multi-resistor circuit

So you set the switch to 2WD(OFF) and read OHMs between pins 2 and 3
Then set switch to 4high and read OHMs
Then 4low and read OHMs

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hope I am not hijacking the thread. I thought it might help myself and the OP if I posted here.

I've had this issue for a few years now and I think I might throw a part a it. My 4wd drive works in hi and low. The issue is that the 4x4 light does not always come on and or stay on in Hi. When I switch to low it seems to be all systems go. Switches to low and the light comes on. When I switch to Hi the light does not always stay on. I think IMO after reading what Ron said I think the issue is either the sensor in the shift motor or a relay in the control module. I've done the tap the devices with a hammer trick etc. the motor is $75 and a crawl under rusty bolt effort to install. The module is $160 and a more comfortable repair. the 2 lights come on when I initially turn the key and the 4wd drive system has always worked. Also is it possible to take the motor apart and clean the sensor? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals