• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

crank sensor wire gone

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I could not find a missing wire on my truck after I had replaced the head. It was near the crank sensor. I didnt catch that there was a second plug that came off the crank sensor and the single wire was gone inside the wire loom, and the plug had a short piece of wire left. I fixed that problem and it was running a lot better, not perfect but a lot better. I was checking the wires and when I pulled up on the harness the truck died. I am not good with electrical stuff so any ideas on what to check? Its the crank sensor wires and 2 other harnesses that are attached. I'm not sure what the single wire went to. Any ideas would be great. It looks like the wires are in good shape the plugs on the ICM are tight. Any ideas on attacking this problem?

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
https://pix.sfly.com/JHSZCJ
https://pix.sfly.com/XmCrUj
It looks like its a ground, bare wire wrapped in foil. Both ways the crank sensor wire and in the other part of the wire that goes to the loom, that goes to the fuel injectors.I hope I'm not confusing with the description.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'm not really seeing anything that might help...I didn't spend much time playing with the FI version from the last engine swap I did...which was actually a body swap onto a frame that already had the engine mounted...

Pulling on a harness and causing the engine to die is actually common...ground wire is probably not connected like you suspect but could also be the harness is burned through somewhere. That is very common on the exhaust side of things.

I thought I read though where you fixed this problem...I saw anther thread with your name on it...

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
This is a new problem. I was asking about a head in a different place but didnt ask any questions about this.I'm replacing the crank sensor. It seems to be in the plug, its sealed so I cant cut the wires and re attach them. I dropped a piece on the harmonic balancer and bent the crap out of the part that goes through the crank sensor. I got one coming so it will be next week. I hope that was the problem. I am really bad at wire problems. I guess I will get some training if it isnt. Any idea what to look for in the harness? There is a bare wire that is wrapped around other wires and they are wrapped with some sort of foil. What should I do if I peal the foil off? Would I have to wrap something around it to replace the foil? Thanks for a response, something is better than nothing.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I saw that on my harness but never got to investigate further. Could be something to prevent outside interference since the signal is critical to engine operation. No other reason for putting foil on the wires...

Anyway, if there is a broken sheath or burned coating on the wires anywhere along the course of the harness it could be shorting out and that could cause the computer to shut down...that would kill the engine...or a break in the signal could interrupt it enough to loose timing. It would most likely stumble in that case.

Only thing I would suggest is to remove the harness as much as you can from the engine and check the coating carefully for any burn or cut marks and if you find them peel the protective layers and have a better look at the wires. If they are able to short out or otherwise interfere with each other that would be a good place to start.

Check also the connectors as they get very fragile over time and heat/oil exposure doesn't help. I've had everything from a single strand of wire holding a main power line to crumbling connectors affect my truck and they were all repaired easy enough...but finding them is the real problem...as you know.

If it was running and just died suddenly it's probably just a broken wire or bad ground somewhere...keep looking...get a strong light and magnifier if you can find one...they are much better and are worth every penny you need to spend for an older vehicle...and older eyes...

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
It was setting in the driveway with the hood up and when I pulled on the wires it died. I will try to find the problem next week going to storm tomorrow. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals