• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Gauge Stuck Above Full (Max)

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Posted this to another forum a few weeks ago that ended up getting flagged by browser as security risk and didn't get much useful response.

searched...couldn't find anything that really addressed my issue precisely.
"new" purchase to replace my 2004 Sierra that gave its life to protect me in June, I'll post more on that and pictures in an introduction thread. for now I'd like to use the remainder of the holiday weekend getting information together.

on the drive home I noticed the fuel gauge pinned at above max...of course it ran out of gas on the way home and the ONE thing I didn't bring was one of my million fuel cans...from previous experience that screams fuel float issue of some sort. I ordered the factory service manual and electrical manual. I also ordered a fuel pump assembly online F57Z9H307FA the entire assembly with the float I don't have time to play around if I'm lifting the bed. I'll inspect the connector when I get it off. While filling up at the gas station, topping off the tank caused a river of a leak so I'm assuming from the searching that I did that the filler neck/gasket is the issue and ordered F47Z9034P.

I'm getting ready to pull the bed and I'm left with the following questions:
1. If I can get all of the bolts out, can 4 moderately sized adults safely and easily lift the bed off?
2. Is there a separate fuel filler neck gasket at the base of the neck to the fuel tank like sn95 mustangs (did all mid 90s fords leak gas???) or is the neck I ordered enough?
3. while I have the bed off, which seems like a rather large job, what else should I be inspecting while there...exhaust...leaf springs...shackles...shocks...brake and fuel lines. am I missing anything?
4. if I end up breaking bed bolts, does anyone offer them cheaper than $55 for the set, or is there a way I can replace them with a standard bolt and washer setup and delete the captured washer/clip?

Thank you for any help you have to offer (probably but hopefully not from knuckle-busting experience).

here's the links for parts if anyone needs them...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131313135727
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351397722076
So yesterday I removed the bed as I had an extra helper...yes it can be lifted with two people quite easily. I removed the mud flaps (one 13mm nut/bolt each side), the front and rear inner fender guards (not sure if necessary), the three 7mm bolts that hold the filler neck on, the two support straps that hold the front of the wheel well to the frame (similar to the mud flap bracket), and the taillights - I later figured out that you don't need to remove the tail lights, simply unhook the large electrical connector on the driver side underneath approximately 12" inboard of the left tail lamp (just raise the bed up a tiny bit and you'll see it. I removed the tail gate for weight. The bed bolts did not fight me too bad, but I have also spent the past few days soaking them from top and bottom with PB blaster and going at them with impact slowly knocking all the rust loose - I ordered a T55 torx in 1/2" drive off of the internet and that seemed to be the key not loosing torque through adapters.

I was pleased to find super obvious cause of fuel leak when filling torn filler neck at connection to tank.

And upon removing the fuel pump found the float was...not there...:shok: The clip that holds it on still is, so...went into the tank with mirror/light, even buried one arm in fuel to touch every corner of tank, couldn't find the old one. Oh well. Forget to get a lock ring, Fords always rust them to dust, picked it up from the local auto parts store ($21 is rape...), and job done, started the truck right up and fuel gauge works appropriately now.

so #3 is really my only unresolved question. shocks are junk. I was told to inspect the leaf spring shackles, which I did - it appears this truck has had all except for the passenger side front one replaced, I could not tell how bad it was except for massive surface rust (3/8" thick pieces falling off) from underneath. Once I had the bed off, you could clearly see daylight rust holes through parts. I cut off the 4 welded rivets that hold it onto the frame and ordered a replacement and bolts. What I would call the rear shackle drop brackets were rusted to the point taking the bolts out of them twisted them and snapped them in half...scary to think the speeds I was driving this thing home with them like that...brake lines have already been done. leaf spring bushings are shot. exhaust is fine. fuel lines and electrical appear and function fine. no visible defects in rear driveline/axle. rear brakes are 4/32. at the rate drums go, those could probably go another 192K, useless shit.

the truck sits 1 to 1 1/2" higher on the passenger side from known frame points to the ground as measured with an empty bed (and then again with bed removed). removing the shocks did not seem to alter the measurements any (nor did I expect it to). how can I measure the leaf springs to determine if it is a leaf spring issue or the actual frame of the truck is bent?

while I have all this apart, what should I be using to prevent further rust on the frame sections and the underside of the bed? I have a bed armor coating to put inside the bed but this specifically says it is not a water repellent?

lots of pics:
http://s688.photobucket.com/user/cjr2003firefly2/library/1997 Ford Ranger?sort=3&page=1

lastly, I believe my parking brake cable routing is incorrect (though working) based on the random return spring to frame and the shock rubbing through the passenger side parking brake cable, pics below. does anyone know of a reliable routing diagram and possibly the parts I'm missing to make this right?

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

if you need the photobucket fix extensions they are HERE
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173757&highlight=photobucket

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rear brake line tends to rust out in the frame rail by gas tank, give it a good look or just replace it.

Rear shackles on all pickups rust out

test and lube spare tire lift

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rear brake line tends to rust out in the frame rail by gas tank, give it a good look or just replace it.

Rear shackles on all pickups rust out

test and lube spare tire lift
Has already been replaced.
Lubed and filled it with air, thanks!

I think we were able to determine what is at fault is the left side leaf spring because sitting them side by side on the ground with no static forces on them it even appears to be sagging/lower.

Considering the prices asked for "new" ones, I think I am going to just pony up for the Rough Country lift kit with leaf springs and get all the new parts that come with it that I'm probably going to have to replace anyway (notably shocks, front springs).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals