• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door ajar sensors

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I replaced all 4 door sensors in the 98 ranger about 6 months ago because the door ajar light was always on when the truck was running and the dome light stayed on for about 30-45 minutes (not exactly sure) after I park it and shut it off. After breaking some plastic clips and cracking some back doors panels I thought I was done. Well, now after 6 months it's back to doing the same thing, if my test was correct, only the driver's door is working, when I open and close the other doors while the truck is on, the chime doesn't make noise, so I assume it thinks that those doors are open, unless only the front doors have the chime on them and the rear ones just run the dash light. I drive a lot of gravel roads so maybe they get dust in them causing them to get stuck or something. I've been spraying lubricant in them hopping that it helps but nothing changed so far.

So the question is, if I take the door panels apart and disconnect the sensors, will the dash light go off and the dome light stay off or I'll just be wasting my time doing it? I don't mind taking apart the front panels but the rear ones are a pain in the butt and I don't want to break them anymore than I already did. If unplugging them works then I'll do it, otherwise I'll just take the bulb out of the dome light, I can live with the door ajar light on, I just don't like the idea of the dome staying on for so long draining the battery, specially with winter coming. Any advice is welcome, thanks guys..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Door Ajar system is run by the GEM(generic electronic module), behind radio in dash.

Have a look at this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/951177-door-ajar-light-problem-it-aint-the-switch.html

Since the Door Ajar light is not specific as to which sensor is closed you may need to get to the GEM and then test each wire from each sensor.
You could unhook each sensor and hope for the best but if there is a short in the wiring causing the door ajar light then you would have to go to the GEM at that point any way.
And the problem could be in the GEM itself, testing the wires would tell you that, if they tested OK

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals