• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 bronco 2 transmission help

waisone

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys im new here and i need some help. i recently got an 88 ford bronco2 from my grandpa i had it running and for a while the transmission wouldnt get in gear, i had to let it sit a while then the tranny would kick in, i drove it like that for awhile now when i put it in drive the transmission just grinds, do i need to buy a whole new tranny? or do you guys have any idea what it could be? also is there a tranny from another car that might fit? thanks guys!

its automatic and does have fluid

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not too familiar with the auto tranny's, but I'm betting you have the A4LD. You can find them in many vehicles, specifically Rangers, Bronco II's, and some early Explorers. The A4LD has track record of being either 100% functional, or a complete failure. By the sound of your description, you would need to do some serious work to save that tranny. Another tranny could bring new problems, but fixing the one you have will cost big $$$. Do some research, this site is full of tons of info. Talk to some other members that have more A4LD experience. Good Luck and welcome to The Ranger Station! 84BB2.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
if it has been awhile since its ran, I would pull the pan off the transmission and check to see if there is alot of crap in there. and while your at it change the filter and the fluid. and dont forget about the torque convertor.

I know with my a4ld it isnt happy if im down a pint or over a teaspoon. it does make alot of difference.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The A4LD (which is def what you have) is a very picky trans, and BB2 is right. They either work and run like a champ, or the blow chunks of themselves down the road.

Honestly the best fix for an A4LD is a manual trans. If you don't want to go to the trouble or can't drive a stick, the best bet is to find an old Ford trans man who is good with the A4LD. Most of the difference in quality seems to be the skill level of the builder.

A good trans cooler will help a lot too. If you add a good strong BIG trans cooler that helps keep them alive.

waisone

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey thanks for the help guys, im gonna try what b2rich said because the bronco had been sittin for years before i got it goin, im gonna have to check the level on the fluids because i remember adding fluid before it messed up. anyways glad i know what kinda tranny to look for i was just kinda gonna go at it blindly, thanks yall.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
My 3 speed auto will warn me when it is getting low on flud it will not go until the oil warms up a little. Definately pull the pan and see how much debris in in the bottom. Change the filter if it is not full of shavings. careful not to over fill it and see if it moves. Mine has a slow leaky oil pump seal not bad enough to warrant pulling it to put a seal in the input shaft T/C.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, pull the pan and see what you can see. Hopefully its something stupid like crappy fluid. If you pull it off and it's full of metal, just put it back, walk away, and then start looking for a new trans.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, pull the pan and see what you can see. Hopefully its something stupid like crappy fluid. If you pull it off and it's full of metal, just put it back, walk away, and then start looking for a new trans.
+1. Good Luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals