• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck shuts off.

broncopolanco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 1989 BII EB edition shuts off shortly after being turned on. It doesn't putter then shuts off. It just shuts off. I can turn it back on but a second or 2 later it shuts off again. Any suggestions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be a few things.

EEC relay powers the computer(EEC), fuel injectors, and spark.
So if it is not staying closed after startup system would die, just like key was shut off.

Fuel pump relay, same issue, you should hear the fuel pump come on with the key then go off 2 seconds later, it won't come on again until engine rpms are above 500, so after startup, if relay isn't closing again engine will die within a few seconds.

Ignition switch, under steering column, it has a START and a RUN position, when you turn the key to START power connections change, when key returns to RUN contacts change again, because RUN is the normal contacts they could be worn down so power is being lost in RUN, EEC relay opens and engine dies.
Do lights on the dash go off like key is off or do they stay on like key is on and engine is off.

TFI ignition issue, older they get the more likely they will have a problem.
Good read here for testing: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Just to narrow things down, you could get some Starting Fluid spray(ether), then remove intake's air plenum(big air tube) have someone start engine and when it starts to die spray some starting fluid into the intake.

If engine stays running then fuel supply is being lost, but spark is working
If engine still dies then spark is being lost

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
to just completely die like that sounds like a grounding issue. when i tightened the starter wires on my new starter I allow the hot cable to rotate alil too far an it would ground out on bumps, it just killed the spark, no stuttering or anything. took me weeks to find it. check all your wiring. if it was air or fuel you would stutter a lil just on fumes. start with battery and starting system then check coils, etc.

broncopolanco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guy I'll look into it. So i left the truck alone for about a day. Came back to it started right up and stayed on. Drove it around a while then parked it. Came back periodically to start it up and it would stay on. No issue. Engine running smooth and quiet. However, today I go to start it up and it cuts back off after 2 or 3 seconds. I can hear the gas pump wrkng for a second or so after it cuts off.

Last edited:

broncopolanco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i had the ignition and everything replaced about a year ago.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would do the testing.

If in doubt put some gas or starting fluid in the intake and crank engine, if it doesn't fire up it has no spark

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals