• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spark plug gap from OHV-SOHC engines

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I got spark plugs at autozone today and the guy gave me ones for a 1998 explorer with an OHV engine, but I have a SOHC engine. Does anyone know if these will still work for gap size and all?
If any confusion, I have a 1998 sohc explorer I just bought. I'm gonna change oil, spark plugs/wires, coil pack, and an o2 sensor.
It has 118,7xx miles which is great but on my way home it threw p0304 and p0153. So I have a misfire in cylinder 4, and a possibly bad if not dirty o2 sensor. I better not have a cracked head. I'll drive this through the previous owners house. Sorry, ranting...

Still ranting....
I got it for $2,200.00, so not bad but if engines cracked I'm gonna be pissed cause it was a really nice 50+ yr old man who sold me the truck. I expect young people to lie... But not old people, especially nice old country people. I'll move next-door to him and Piss on his lawn daily.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Different spark plugs. The OHV plugs will thread into the SOHC head but will be about 1/4" short in the combustion chamber. Go back to autozone, throw the plugs at the retard behind the counter and get the correct plugs.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, am I right in my mind with vin X being the correct ones? I believe H is the OHV vin for explorer.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 4.0 wasn't bad for cracking heads. The early SOHCs were bad for blowing out their Swiss-cheese head gaskets though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals