• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 302 swap into 97 ranger

armyhooker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just need a little help with my 302 swap. I'm in Afghanistan right now, plannin out a 302 swap for when I get home. Gonna get an explorer around the same year(97) , a zf5 tranny, and probably a bg1356 transfercase.

I got a pretty built sas'd ranger that's a lot of fun, but I need more power!!!

One thing I'm not sure of. Anyone gotten an explorer v8 into a ranger with AC, WITHOUT a body lift?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just need a little help with my 302 swap. I'm in Afghanistan right now, plannin out a 302 swap for when I get home. Gonna get an explorer around the same year(97) , a zf5 tranny, and probably a bg1356 transfercase.

I got a pretty built sas'd ranger that's a lot of fun, but I need more power!!!

One thing I'm not sure of. Anyone gotten an explorer v8 into a ranger with AC, WITHOUT a body lift?
My 02 coil spring has a diff front suspension and uses a different set of engine mounts but the only clearance issues I had with my a/c was a slight interference between the Torque Monster header and the A/C evap at the orifice tube.

The Expo's evap is slightly different and would have eliminated that issue but I had a NIB evap so took that path. I did use the Expo air box for it's double layer of heat shielding, not sure if the profile of the box is any different tho.

Yea, it's TIGHT between the a/c and Torque Monster, but running the OEM manifolds would add a lot of clearance.

All bets are off with the 351 or even the 351 heads on the 302 but with the basic 302, you should not have a problem.

armyhooker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sweet man, thanks. Good to know. What tranny are you using? I'm gonna run a zf5, 5 speed. So shifter location is also gonna determine how far forward I can go

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I stuck with the Expo's original rwd 4R70W (and a shocking long driveshaft!)

Think you'll find you've only got a few options to move the engine forward. The Expo FEAD is as compact as it gets and still leaves precious room to go forward.

Shifter location is one of the more common bug-a-boo's on the manual box V8 conversions.

You might need to consider moving the a/c condenser to in front of the radiator support and the radiator into the support rather than behind. Add in some compact electric fans and you'll get as much room as probably is possible.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
This swap is possible with AC and without a body lift. I've done it. Use the plate and 4.0 rubber mounts, and mount as close to the firewall as possible. Use either a mechanical or electric fan, preferably the taurus fan...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals