• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0L swap '88 Ranger on the CHEAP

Shanenp123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, picked up this '88 SWB off a friend. It was already stripped in preparation for a 5.0 swap when I got it. I'm building this as a secondary project so it's being built for next to nothing and all the work is being done by yours truly.

Here she is, I do have all the panels for it

It has a bad case of firewall/cowl rust, but the rest of the body is solid. Cut the cowl from the cab so it can be repaired and sealed properly.

Behind the heater box on the inside of the cab

Both the ends of the cowl just below the windshield corners are rusted out, you can see where the section has been cut out and the layers of metal welded together before a patch is installed to fill the hole.

Cowl removed, I plan to make it removable instead of welding it back in.

Onto the actual swap stuff, I set an empty 5.0 block and made some plates out of 3/8" steel to bolt the mounts to, I used stock truck/bronco mounts. Used a dual sump pan and trimmed front of the engine crossmember allowing me to set the engine as low and as far back as possible. The engine is set back far enough that I had to modify the firewall on both sides. The the drivers side head is pretty much right into the throttle pedal mount, and that's after I modified it.

Passenger side mount

Drivers side

Shanenp123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The truck came with a set of Advance Adapter's swap headers. It JUST clears the steering shaft lower rag-joint.

Just a mock-up, I'll be going carbed when the time comes.

Running an M5od from an early F150 so it has the shifter location set farther ahead than the ones from the 4.2 F150's, but with my engine so far back it won't be an issue. I built the lever from a scrap solid piece of stock I had. Threw it in the wood stove for a while then bent it into shape. Drilled and tapped my knob to 7/16" and welded a grade 8 bolt to the end of the lever, came out very nice.

Gonna mount these seats out of my foxbody parts car

Last edited:

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
nice, its all good and fun to do...

Shanenp123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Lots of updates, decided against going with the swap headers, I didn't really care for the quality of them, so I massaged and persuaded some Foxbody longtubes in there and had to trim some of the frame which will be plated around the cut. I have yet to do the drivers side.

Also finished rebuilding the cowl/windshield corners, like to see that sumbitch leak again!

Last edited:

Shanenp123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got the dash re installed and made a bracket to mount a set of guages. I still need to do my dashpad in black and the rest of the plastic trim pieces.

Got the front clip reinstalled and all the lights/signals working

And finally, got some 235/60/15's for my front Cragars. They fit nicely.

Last edited:

Soul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bout to do an 87 swap, truck is this ones twin. Looking good :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals