• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trouble removing tire bead, help!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
v-6 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
ive romoved one of my tires and can only get one bead broken, any ideas(pics would be welcome) thx

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Beads are a bitch without the proper tools/equipment. Most people use some sort of ramp (like a 4x4) to drive up onto the tire. I've found a high lift jack placed on the tire while jacking up on a vehicle works pretty good.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take it to the tire shop:). How did yo break yor other bead. There is no safe way of doing it at home without a tire machine. Harbor Freight sells one for 50 bucks I think.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
v-6 2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
thx guys, ive worked on semi tires that didnt cause me this trouble ill try the ramp thing then maybe take it to the shop

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Semi tires are different. These tires are more flexible, makes it harder to get the bead off without a bead breaker.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have mounted and dismounted at least 100 tires at my house with a high lift jack, the weight of my F250, two small tire spoons and a long pry bar. It is 100% safe as long as you respect the high lift jack! I have done everything from wheelbarrow tires up to 40" Gumbo Monster Mudders.

The two tricks are to get the bottom of the jack as far between the wheel and tire as you can, and use the heaviest vehicle you have. Sometimes you have to work your way around the bead too, just depends on the wheel. Once you have some pressure and the bead is starting to go, you can jump on the tire to break it loose.

Last edited:

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have mounted and dismounted at least 100 tires at my house with a high lift jack, the weight of my F250, two small tire spoons and a long pry bar. It is 100% safe as long as you respect the high lift jack! I have done everything from wheelbarrow tires up to 40" Gumbo Monster Mudders.

The two tricks are to get the bottom of the jack as far between the wheel and tire as you can, and use the heaviest vehicle you have. Sometimes you have to work your way around the bead too, just depends on the wheel. Once you have some pressure and the bead is starting to go, you can jump on the tire to break it loose.
I have used the high lift method many tires and it always works perfectly. I have done trailer tires on the side of the highway as well as old bias ply tires that had been on steel rims in the weeds for 20+ years. The more stubborn ones will take a little more time.

If you have trouble breaking the whole bead from your starting location just let up on the jack and rotate the tie 90* and try again. Also, if you have a very tough bead to break keep in mind that pushing the bead to far down the rim will not make it easier to get the tire off the rim, since you will only be stretching the tire at that point. Once the tire bead is past the bead lip on the wheel and it hasn't broke yet its time to change position.

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I work at a Sears in the garage. I know if someone comes in and says I need this bead broken, and were not busy, we'll just pop it off for ya.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals