• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2007 Ranger Fog Light Mod How To :

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... O.k some of you know I was trying to do the "FOG LIGHT" mod on my 2007 RANGER but all the instructions I could find to do this mod were not accurate due to Ford redesigned the electrical system in my year truck. Other years were also effected by this change.

If you don't know what the "FOG LIGHT" mod is, well here ya go. On the RANGER, the lower fog lights will stay on when the normal head lights are on or the DRL (daytime running lights). As soon as you try to use your high beams the fog lights automatically shut off. This mod is to "OVERRIDE" this so you can run your fog lights and high beams at the same time.

- First the newer Rangers no longer have a GEM module. They use a SJB (smart junction box). It is located behind the P/S kick panel. Once you have the kick panel removed, locate the black connectors that you will need to tap into.

We will be working on the two top black connectors on the right hand side. We will call the very top one, "PLUG "A".
The 2ND black connector under that one will be called "PLUG "B".

You will need a RELAY and RELAY HARNESS. Remove the center wire from the RELAY HARNESS. It is not needed.

Here is the relay harness set-up I used :

Now you need to remove "PLUG "A" from the SJB. There is a small white lever in the middle of the plug. Simple pull the lever towards the rear of the truck. The plug will basically eject itself.

Now you need to only locate one wire in "PLUG "A". That would be the GREY/VIOLET (Grey wire with violet stripe). You need to TAP this wire, DO NOT CUT IT!!!!! If you cut this wire your in dash fog light warning light will no longer function.

I installed a tap connector onto the GREY/VIOLET wire.

Now you need to remove the 2ND black connector called "PLUG "B". Use the same procedure to remove this plug as you did to remove "PLUG "A".

There is only one wire you need to locate in "PLUG "B". That would be the small gauge, solid BROWN wire.You need to CUT this wire, making sure to leave enough wire on both ends in case you ever want to reverse this mod.

The BROWN wire going towards "PLUG"B" will be capped off. The BROWN wire going up, towards the dash will have to have a (MALE) connector installed on it. I used shrink tubing on this as well.

I used male/female electrical connectors so I could easily reverse this mod if needed to. Basically "PLUG & play".

Now I took the BLUE (#30) wire on my RELAY HARNESS and connected it to the small gauge SOLID BROWN wire.

Then I took the RED (#86) wire from my RELAY HARNESS and connected it to the GREY/PURPLE wire, via a TAP connector.

On my RELAY HARNESS, I took the ORANGE (#85) and YELLOW (#87)wires and tied them together with a ground connector. Both these wires will be used as GROUNDS. I used the small bolt at the bottom of the SJB as the grounding point.

Reinstall "PLUG "A/B" into the SJB and push the white lever towards the firewall to lock them back into place.

I ended up mounting my RELAY in the SJB. It fits nicely behind the P/S kick panel, out of site.

Last edited:

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... The 1ST post has been revised. Now the FOG LIGHT warning light will function.

Captain Caveman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I finally did this modification the other weekend. It works great and it took all of about 5 minutes to install. Thanks Neal!

Captain Caveman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I should have thought of this PRIOR to making the modification but... Is there any risk to this modification? Will I blow a fuse running the high-beams and fog lights at the same time? Is there a legal restriction on running them simultaneously?

Why doesn't Ford let you do it?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You will be fine both ways.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After a late night highway trip over the weekend I will be doing this mod tonight.

I'll likely upgrade to some better bulbs in my headlights as well. The high beams on my truck have a decent long range beam but nothing at all close up...

mad hatter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
did this mod today on my 2008, works awesome, Thank You for the "How To"

RebelRider2010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I assume this is a 4 pin relay?

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I always thought there was something wrong with my truck but, I guess that's how it is where you can't runs fogs and high beams.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals