• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C stops blowing when engine is under load

Chimerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Aloha all!
So, if I'm accelerating aggressively, or trying to maintain speed when heading uphill, The A/C stops coming out of the vents until the load on the motor is reduced. However, the fan is still blowing, I can hear it. Obviously a dam is closing or opening somewhere. And it exhibits this behavior on Max A/C, but not on regular A/C.

Thoughts?
Mahalo!

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
When the throttle exceeds a certain point, it sends a signal that will disengage the compressor for power. My truck and my friend's 98 do it too. I usually only notice it on WOT.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure it's not blowing air out of ANY vents, or is air blowing only out of the defrost vents under high load? Vent selection is controlled by engine vacuum. If there is no vacuum, the system will default to defrost vents only. You will lose most or all vacuum under hard acceleration or heavy loads.

Chimerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is a new phenomenon, at least relatively. We ran the truck for years without this happening, so I don't believe that it's supposed to happen.

James, even if the compressor disengages, that shouldn't stop the fan from pushing air through the vents, right? I mean, the compressor cycles on and off all the time in normal operation.

exbass, I'll keep an eye on it this weekend and see if it's actually closing all vents, or switching to the defrost.

Oh, 1999 Ranger TRS, btw. Extended cab, 4WD.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
This sounds like your vacuum reservoir check valve is not working properly. Under load, engine vacuum drops and the AC/heater vent control can go to default (defroster vent). This is prevented by the use of a vacuum reservoir. Under load the check valve keep the vacuum from bleeding off to the engine.

I had to replace the entire vacuum reservoir because the check valve is inside and can't be replaced separately. I think some Rangers have an external check valve.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It has a WOT cutout relay going to the compressor and is controlled by the throttle position senser. It could be at TPS is out of spec telling the computer it is wide open when it is not?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It has a WOT cutout relay going to the compressor and is controlled by the throttle position senser. It could be at TPS is out of spec telling the computer it is wide open when it is not?
The WOT relay only makes the compressor disengage. It wouldn't cause the blower motor to stop blowing air out of the vents, which is what the OP's problem is. I agree with gw33gp, check the vacuum reservoir and check valve.

deathcyte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Aloha all!
So, if I'm accelerating aggressively, or trying to maintain speed when heading uphill, The A/C stops coming out of the vents until the load on the motor is reduced. However, the fan is still blowing, I can hear it. Obviously a dam is closing or opening somewhere. And it exhibits this behavior on Max A/C, but not on regular A/C.

Thoughts?
Mahalo!
Aloha? Mahalo? Ok which island you on?
Or were on? I'm on maui

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure on the ranger but my jeep would divert air to the defrosts at the same time it cycled the compressor.

Chimerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, went camping this weekend, so there was lots of opportunity to experience this. It is switching to defrost, and the issue is definitely getting more chronic. We've had the truck for around a decade, and living on Oahu with only 597 square miles, we're driving the same roads over and over. This behavior is about 6 months old.

So... I have something called a vacuum reservoir, and it has a check valve. How would I go about locating, identifying, and testing these items? I'm competent to change tires, oil, even brake pads, but I'm not a mechanic.

Also, is this a sign of problems to come?

Chimerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Additional info:

The problem only seems to occur when I use the Max A/C setting. On regular A/C, I can push the truck hard for quite a while and the vent never stops blowing cold air.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals