• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TTB Dana 35 with factory 4.10 gears, help...

jesselee20040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 about to swap in 2.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
In the tech articles it says that the ttb dana 35 came from the factory with three different gear ratios including 4.10. I have not been able to find a 35 with these gears, I have found both 28's and the hybrids; so what did these possibly come in? Also does the hybrid use everything the same as a 35 minus the pumpkin? I'm referring to the lockouts and U-joints mostly. I can get the hybrid axle cheap.

jesselee20040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 about to swap in 2.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
Oh my bronco has 31's and factory 3.45 gears but needs a little more gear so I can pull my pop up camper.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the easiest thing to find them on is '90-92 Rangers with the 2.3L, as all 2.3L 4x4 Rangers had the 4.10 gears, and '90-92 will be a 35 and not the hybrid, still hens teeth but is something to look for...

With 31's you would probably be fine with a hybrid, the only difference is the pumpkin and the shafts that go into it, the rest is just as strong as a normal 35 (all 3 joints are the same hybrid or not). If you were running 35's and a heavier truck or with more power that would most likely be a different story.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Some 2.9L trucks (same years) came with 4.10s also (some number of ones with automatics, but never with the stickshift as far as I can tell). Again, not an easy find, but they're out there.

Best resource I've found for locating hard-to-find used parts is www.car-part.com. Put in your area or state and something should turn up if anyone has it.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ford NEVER paired the 4.10 gears with a v6 engine and a manual trans, so look for a 4cyl or an auto trans cooler, when you know what you ar looking for you won't usually need to open the hood of most 89-92 Rangers or Bronco2's

Frankly I've sold about a dozen real (Non Hybred) D35 front chunks with 4.10 gears over the years, but other than the one that's in my 4.0 4x4 supercab I haven't seen one in a while.

But I can assure you, they DO exist. and what you've been told where to find them is spot-on... trucks produced 11/89 and later 4x4 with 4cyl engines or 2.9 or 3.0 with auto transmissions

As for 2.3 4cyls having 410 gears the comment of "all" above is something of an exaggeration
I personally had a 4cyl 4x4 that the factory shipped with 3.45 gears (Which I promptly changed out for 3.73's)
and I've seen many 4cyl 4x4's with 3.73's

AD

Last edited:

dacutus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually I have 6 cyl. /manual trans and according to ford, via the VIN, I have a 4.10 front end. I was going to post to see about interchangeability on the front ends. I need to swap the front diff out and found a low miles "full time" front but wasn't sure if it would work on mine or not. Is there any difference in the front ends?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Actually I have 6 cyl. /manual trans and according to ford, via the VIN, I have a 4.10 front end. I was going to post to see about interchangeability on the front ends. I need to swap the front diff out and found a low miles "full time" front but wasn't sure if it would work on mine or not. Is there any difference in the front ends?
What year?

FYI there was a member on here selling a 4.10 pig in the classifieds with in the last month or two..

I found my last one in a 2.9 auto 90-92 single cab long bed.

The hybrid will take some abuse. I have personally watched the same one survive with a lead foot and 31" Boggers for years...now on 33" MTs and still going strong. It has outlived 4 sets of my D44 chromos.

dacutus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Plumcrazy, mine is an 04 Edge extended cab (4 door). Mind you I have no stickers on mine and I'm only going by the OEM parts web page and doing the search according to the VIN. All info comes up correct pertaining to the engine and trans so I can only assume the ratio they list is also correct. Do you know if there was a difference in the "full time" diff vs the other "standard" fronts?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
This thread is referring to the TTB D35(97 and older)....not the IFS like yours. The 4.10/V6 combo is pretty common in the 98+ trucks

The "Full time" and "Part time" stuff is all in the hubs/spindles and doesn't affect the diff at all.

dacutus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Plumcrazy! I was grabbing at straws for info. Sorry for jumping on wrong thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals