• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 odd problem

justindpenrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 01 4x4 manual. The problem just started all of a sudden. I got in it turned the key on started it then realized the gauges weren't working. I turned it off and when I went to fire it back up the theft light was blinking fast. The cruise light is on, the airbag light on, starter won't turn over, no fuel pump power or fuel gauge working. I am at a loss, don't think PATS would do all this was pointing more towards ECM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Fast flashing anti-theft light is PATS, for sure.

But could be caused by blown fuse, or similar electrical issue, PATS tests the Key, which requires an electrical(RF) pulse, so no pulse = failed PATS test and fast flashing light.

Disconnect battery, BOTH cables, make sure both are clean and the battery terminals as well, wire brush them to be sure.

Touch both battery cables together, this will drain all the capacitors in the computer and other systems, so resets computer.

You will lose Radio presets/clock time and idle may be up and down for a few days as computer re-learns engine settings

Now reconnect battery cables
Turn on the key and see if gauges and dash lights work
And PATS is no longer flashing

Go here to get 2001 owners manual: http://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/ford-ranger-owner-manuals-1996-2011-models-3747/

It will have fuse diagrams so you can check fuses if gauges or lights are not working

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like a network problem to me.

justindpenrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just pulled the code and got a B1681. What I still don't understand is why the cruise light is on. What would the PATS have to do with the cruise and fuel level gauge.

justindpenrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update

Got it back to running replaced the ECM and transceiver. Still have a problem. The electronic issue is all of these aren't working. Radio, windshield wipers, 4 wheel drive, gas gauge & cruise control light stays on. I'm lost, could the problem be the GEM module?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals