• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice for engine swap V8 in 99 ranger

JimboSlice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello gents. Im looking for advice on a swap to get a V8 5.0 out of an explorer and into my 99 ranger 2 door single cab, 4cyl 2.5L, 5 speed. This truck is in awesome condition, still my daily driver, 298k miles a/c still cold everything works but i need a back up for when the engine craps out. Ive searched the forum for a good thread but its hard to get specifics seeing how everyone has a different version of the ranger. If some kind soul could point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated. Need to know everything i would need to get with the type of truck i have. And if possible a way to keep the A/C seeing how i live in Miami and cant walk outside with out sweating. Thank you.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You're in luck! The '99/00 Ranger is probably the easiest model to deal with.

Find a 99 - 01 Explorer and it's all but plug and play -- only a handful of wires for the starter, alternator and a/c compressor are different.

The one "gotcha" is your Ranger does not have PATS and the Explorer will.

Three options:

Add PATS from the doner, get a tune to eliminate PATS or drop down to a pre-PATS doner and deal with a handful of additional wiring changes and fuel system differences.

Probably pulling the PATS module, receiver and wiring those in will be the easiest and least expensive path, you can simply zip tie the original Expo key inside of the PATS receiver and go.

check out:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/5_0_swap_in_newer_ranger.html

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/v8-swap-faq/186450-2001-ranger-5-0l-swap-wiring-guide.html

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234975

Last edited:

csx6025

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Win is correct. Getting a donor vehicle makes this swap easy. One thing I found to be a good investment was to get the Ford electrical and vacuum diagram and schematic manual for each vehicle. They were invaluable when it came time to make it all work together. Bought both of mine on eBay.

JimboSlice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Gentelmen. Thank you for your quick responses.

Gentelmen. Thank you for your quick responses. This is great help. I already have the motor harness and computer. Next is headers. Would you know which is gonna be the most affordable?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Headers are a challenge.

Only bolt in option are the Torque Monsters from Al's Headers. Great headers, beautifully made and finished. Expensive, long wait times and terrible customer service.

After that, years ago Ford Racing Parts did a set for the V8 Explorers. Like the Torque Monsters, they can sometimes (if you're lucky) be found used.

The later cast iron Expo manifolds flow better than the earlier tubular ones.

Other than that, custom, or customized.

JimboSlice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Great advice guys. Headers are on the way. Does anyone have personal experience with taking all the stuff from the donor and putting it into a ranger that manual transmision? Ive got the complete vehicle. I picked the explorer up at the auction for $990 and drove it to my house. does anyone think i will encounter a problem since its going from an automatic explorer to a manual ranger?

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depends on what you want, manual or automatic?

JimboSlice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Depends on what you want, manual or automatic?
I want to keep the manual transmition that i have in it. I have a 4cyl now and the trany is a 5 speed. Ive just read on how the computer wont like it too much and i wanna make sure that the moto rwill bolt up also before i get started.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You will need a tune for the trans' functions if going to manual. Swap the ignition cylinder lock and door cylinders from the donor, along with the pats module and the pats transceiver, that will take care of pats...

SVT

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to keep the manual transmition that i have in it. I have a 4cyl now and the trany is a 5 speed. Ive just read on how the computer wont like it too much and i wanna make sure that the moto rwill bolt up also before i get started.
Your 4cyl trans will not bolt onto the explorer engine. If you want a manual, you'll need a trans from a 97-2003 F-150 4.2l. This transmission is called the M5od-r2.

JimboSlice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone have a set of used Torque Monster headers for sale?

Jooosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Your 4cyl trans will not bolt onto the explorer engine. If you want a manual, you'll need a trans from a 97-2003 F-150 4.2l. This transmission is called the M5od-r2.
Hi guys so I was wondering about I have found this (Advance Adapters Ford Bronco II, Ranger Truck 4 & 5spd to Ford V8 Adapter Plate Kit) is supposed to let you use the original 5 speed transmission just by changing the bell housing to fit a 302 motor what do you guys think about it or should I go with the M5od-r2 and if so do the shifter line up with the whole in the transmission tunnel or am I going to have to cut it thanks.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You absolutely should not use the stock Ranger transmission.

Jooosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You absolutely should not use the stock Ranger transmission.
Ok I also was told the stock rear-end need to be changed out but I also was told you don't

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals