• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

crank pulley removal help

azureruza

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Trying to remove the crank pulley on a 2.3 liter ranger but I don't have a puller and I really don't want to go out and buy one. Any suggestions?

azureruza

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
alright

Bought a puller... still being a bitch. Any helpful info is appreciated.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
the bolt is easy prop a breaker bar on the nut and the handle in the crossmember and start the motor for a second, voila. the crank pulley itself make sure you dont mess up the threads, put the bolt in about 5 turns and spin the puller center on the bolt itself (thats what i did anyway when i changed my timing belt...). it takes some work and patience, tap on it lightly with a hammer to break any rust loose along w/ some pb blaster, kroil oil, or any heavy penetrating oil (wd40 works but not the greatest there is better.) friend of mine actually turned me onto oil of wintergreen available at a drug store put it in a plastic squirt bottle and you can watch it eat rust believe it or not. other than that just go at it and have fun just be mindful of the crankshaft position sensor behind the pulley on the right side approx 2-3 oclock when facing the engine (if yours is equipped with one, 92 upwards edis trks have it mine is a 92). dont want to break or mess w/ that.

ianthegreat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know how different yours is from my truck, but it took me a couple days and some wd-40. Just used a nut and big breaker bar. Wouldn't budge the first day. The next day it came off pretty easy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals