• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Emission Removal on 2.3L??

Status
Not open for further replies.

apexFD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

I just bought a 1989 ford ranger regular cab short box with the 2.3L 4 banger with dual coils, it has 270 000km and is in pretty good shape, runs good. I bought it for 800$ CAD. I just gave it a tune up.. changed all the spark plugs/wires, changed oil/fuel filter, new oil (10w30), new air filter (i ripped out all the heated intake stuff that came from the headers and cut a giant hole in the bottom of the airbox) and just cleaned up the engine. The rear brake line was leaking (behind the gas tank.. what a bitch) so i installed a new brake line from the rear antilock unit (in front of the fuel filter) to the other connector in front of the rear axle (before the splittter).. I also bled all 4 brakes and pumped out all the old fluid. While i was at it i replaced both rear brakes with brand new springs and pads etc etc.

So here is the next thing i want to do.. I want to block off/delete all the emissions stuff. My EGR valve has the front falling off of it, i would rather just get rid of all that crap if i can...

Is there a write up for this? How will it affect my gas mileage, increase or decrease?

I have deleted the emissions on my 1991 rx7 turbo.. i am familiar with the process, i just want to know how to do it on a 2.3L ranger.

Also, after taking my gas tank off (out of curiousity i unscrewed and looking inside the gas tank via the big black ring above the internal fuel pump) my gas meter seems to be acting weird... when the truck is off it reads true (i have 3/4 tank in there right now) but when i fire the truck up the fuel guage reads wayy past full? I dont want to have to take that stupid fuel tank off again.. how can i fix it?!

BTW: This truck will be my Daily driver for a few months strait.. I own a 1993 mazda rx7 that i am doing a bunch of work to at the moment, so when that project is done the ranger will probably be sitting for a few months until the weather gets too bad to drive my FD around... So either way i want to clean up the truck and make it reliable.

Other than that the truck seems to be good... Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ben

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Thats a dangerous question to ask around here. Removing emissions systems is a violation of federal law, so discussing it around here is kind of illegal. However, if the vehicle were for off road use only, it might be possible to talk about it ( :secret: ).

BTW, on my 1990 dual plug 2.3 (same as yours) when the EGR valve failed my gas mileage went down about 3 mpg. So it's definately worth having it hooked up and working right. I got a valve from the junk yard for a few bucks and it worked great.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
If your serious about removing the emmisions 'crap', I'd suggest you start with a conversation with someone knowledgeable/familiar with your province's emmisions testing/registration laws.

I'd also strongly suggest that you don't do it.

dangerranger0690

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i think the only way to do it without having many problems is puttin a carb on it

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
dangerranger nailed it.

your engine is fuel injected, which means its controlled by a computer that is programmed to take into consideration the effect all that emissions "junk" has on the a/f mixture, idle speed, engine temps, ect. removing all these inputs without telling the computer you did so will cause it to run VERY poorly, lack power, and get very bad mileage. reprogramming the PCM in this year of a rig is not a cheap or easy venture either, and is usually reserved for the serious, race-minded individual.

in short, its better for everyone if you just fix whatever is wrong with the truck. you are not going to gain anything (power, mileage, money) by removing it.

Zer0PSI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Remove all of it (that you can) it just adds weight and junks up the engine compartment. Removing your EGR valve wont hurt anything, because when it is disconnected or removed the computer completely deletes the EGR function and advances the timing a few degrees, so you can actually gain a few HP.

You can remove all emissions equipment on an OBD1 vehicle

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You will accomplish nothing by removing emissions components from vehicles built in the last 20 years.

It is illegal to remove or tamper with emissions equipment in the US and Canada. You can't remove it and legally drive it on the road. Most states will allow you to register it as an off-road vehicle, but that has been changing in the last few years as well. Nonetheless, you would be required to turn in your license plates and transport the vehicle on a trailer if you need to move it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Removing your EGR valve wont hurt anything, because when it is disconnected or removed the computer completely deletes the EGR function and advances the timing a few degrees, so you can actually gain a few HP.

um, no.

EGR input lowers combustion chamber temps, allowing for safe advance of timing without detonation. removing the EGR raises combustion chamber temps, which will cause detonation without a retardation of timing. this will not occure in a vehicle (like a 2.3 ranger) not equipped with a knock sensor.

deleting the EGR will cause the computer to fall into open loop, which means it will be running on preset values of timing, injector pulse width, ect, ect. this will cause lower economy, lower power, and drivability problems since the computer is no longer actively monitoring and tuning the engine.

Rocky Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Remove all of it (that you can) it just adds weight and junks up the engine compartment. Removing your EGR valve wont hurt anything, because when it is disconnected or removed the computer completely deletes the EGR function and advances the timing a few degrees, so you can actually gain a few HP.

:bsflag:

Zer0PSI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
um, no.

EGR input lowers combustion chamber temps, allowing for safe advance of timing without detonation. removing the EGR raises combustion chamber temps, which will cause detonation without a retardation of timing. this will not occure in a vehicle (like a 2.3 ranger) not equipped with a knock sensor.

deleting the EGR will cause the computer to fall into open loop, which means it will be running on preset values of timing, injector pulse width, ect, ect. this will cause lower economy, lower power, and drivability problems since the computer is no longer actively monitoring and tuning the engine.
Tommorow I will post my dyno sheet then if no one believes me :) The computer will NOT go into open loop when the EGR is removed. The computer completely deletes the EGR function and advances the timing a few degrees (a few degrees will not cause detonation) My fuel mileage has not suffered, and I actually gained 3 peak HP.

Zer0PSI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
EGR deletion w/out deleting its function in the ECU, will cause engine pre-detonation (pinging) at part-throttle.

Fact #3:
This is a special case, mainly because it would only be true under the following condition:

-----> EGR gases are blocked from entering the intake, but the EGR valve is set to operate so the EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor related codes are not registered. No other EGR system related codes registered, and system operational (valve opening/closing portion).<-----

Deletions by:

1. Placing resistors in the EVP connector to simulate closed position EVP value and prevent code 31 (EVP circuit below minimum voltage of 0.24 volts.) from getting logged....but having EVP not opening codes registered (33 & 34).

2. Removal of EGR Valve Regulator (EVR) solenoid, vacuum lines, EGR valve and EVP sensor, thus getting EGR system codes logged in the system...

3. Having an EGR failure code present in the system, IS a way of deleting the EGR function from the system.....

DO NOT cause engine pre-detonation problems due to the EGR delete......Why???????

The ECU DOES NOT allow the operation of the EGR system when an EGR failure code is present. Therefore, no timing advance is added by the system, since the EGR function is cancelled/bypassed.

Timing table compensation for EGR operation works as follows:

A. When an EGR code is not registered (EGR Failure Flag=0).
B. Advance degrees added to compensate for EGR opening, are calculated by the ECU based on the actual position change of the EVP sensor...the wider it's opened, and bigger the load, more advance timing is added to the ignition timing table....if the EVP sensor voltage change = 0 from its closed position.....0° advance is the added timing to the tables.

Bottom line....if engine pre-detonation is experienced after an EGR delete, with the only exception mentioned......it's not caused by the EGR being deleted....need to check A/F, total timing advance and combustion chambers for carbon deposits.......etc.

BTW....if you have an EGR code currently set in the system as an On Demand or KOER code....you already have the EGR deleted!

NEXT!

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You have GOT to be kidding . . .

You're willing to muck up the air the rest of us are breathing for a paltry 3 horsepower?

First of all, GROW UP! Everyone else has to breathe your exhaust and it's patently irresponsible of you to remove your emissions equipment. It's likely that you don't care, but the rest of us would like to breathe air that's as clean as possible and your misplaced pursuit of power is thoughtless, selfish and juvenile.

Secondly, why come here asking a question if you're so convinced that you're right?

Zer0PSI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have GOT to be kidding . . .

You're willing to muck up the air the rest of us are breathing for a paltry 3 horsepower?

First of all, GROW UP! Everyone else has to breathe your exhaust and it's patently irresponsible of you to remove your emissions equipment. It's likely that you don't care, but the rest of us would like to breathe air that's as clean as possible and your misplaced pursuit of power is thoughtless, selfish and juvenile.

Secondly, why come here asking a question if you're so convinced that you're right?
I didn't ask a question. And how is it irresponsible to remove my emmisions equipment?? I could easily go drive a gas-hog from the 60' or 70's and muck up the air ALOT more now couldnt I?

And i'm sure my ranger with the EGR removed is going to destroy the environment. I guess your not a motorsports fan either, because they muck up the air more than anything.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't ask a question. And how is it irresponsible to remove my emmisions equipment?? I could easily go drive a gas-hog from the 60' or 70's and muck up the air ALOT more now couldnt I?

And i'm sure my ranger with the EGR removed is going to destroy the environment. I guess your not a motorsports fan either, because they muck up the air more than anything.
Uh, why are YOU responding to this?

If you don't understand why removing your EGR is a bad thing there is little hope that you'll comprehend my point.

The bit about a gas hog from the '60's is irrelevant, and as far as motor sports are concerned, my view on racing neither informs the thread, nor is any business of yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals