• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission swap question

b2tamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I have a 89 Bronco 2 with a automatic a4ld transmission AMD the shifter is up by the steering wheel on the column, and I'm looking at buying a 87 Bronco 2 that has a automatic transmission that is slipping but the shifter is on the floor, I was wondering is there any way of putting the tranny from the 89 into the 87?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not a tranny guru. That said, you should be able to use the 89 in the 87 as long as they are the same type of trans. Take pics of how the shifters hook to the trans for reference.

Richard

b2tamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Okay. I'm pretty sure there both the same transmission, I would have to look into it. The only thing that I'm thinking about is they both have different shifter positions one is on the column and one is on the floor.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have done a BII Trans swap into a 91-94 And the Linkage Needs to be Changed , You will have to Drop each pan , Pull a Pin that holds the linkage in the case , and you will also need to remove and replace a Small clip that works the throttle body , There is Also A Big Nut on the linkage that needs to be removed , It can and has been done before .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals