• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold engine sputter/miss

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Little update to this... I have finally replaced the EGR valve and EGR position sensor. Really no change, and yes, I have been driving around with it like this for quite a while. I have a new TPS on the shelf as well and it appears that the Walker 200-1018 part is the correct one for this truck, although it's supposed to fit the Merkur and other similar vehicles and not this one.

I also hooked up a scanner to it and found codes 31 and 53 present at KOEO, the latter of which is somewhat puzzling because I did adjust the TPS to what I thought was a correct idle voltage but maybe I did something wrong.

More frustrating is a new issue where at idle, the truck will sputter, recover, and repeat at random - maybe once a month or once a day, sometimes it sputters hard enough to kill the engine. It happens so infrequently that I can't nail it down easily, maybe throwing parts at the other issue will fix it.

I would have liked to do more troubleshooting on this sooner but house remodeling, race truck build and a 4.0 swap took priority I guess. :)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
More update - had the truck in the shop for quite a while because it needed a new gas tank, e-brake pedal, and a few other things. So I finally got around to replacing the TPS.

Did not fix the issue. It is installed correctly as far as I know. Adjusted to .75 volts at closed throttle, wide open was something like 4.65 and smooth throughout the range of travel.

I am not throwing in the towel by any means but this truck is incredibly frustrating. It'll be fairly reliable for a few years and then it needs a whole bunch of work all at once. In addition to this sputtering issue that I haven't ever figured out, I apparently have a large power steering leak, d/s rear drum brake is acting up, and it may need a new wheel bearing on the front p/s. In addition to the new gas tank, e-brake cable and pedal. Old trucks, ugh.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
In my last parts order from RockAuto, I threw in a new fuel pressure regulator and O2 sensor (they were super cheap.)

The originals must have been fine because the truck runs the same as it always has although it idles noticeably smoother. The "sputtering" issue is actually not so bad now that the temperature has gone way down although it still does it and just feels like it has no power when the engine is cold.

So with all that said, I have literally replaced every sensor on the engine and still have this issue. I am half tempted to drop my spare distributor in the thing just to rule out that and the ignition module.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals