• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another 2.3 ping/spark knock thread

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey guys,

My spark knock is back with a vengeance. :bawling:

It is now at the point where even on a tank of high octane, it still knocks, which it did not do before.

I had my scanner plugged in watching some live data and the timing advance was pretty normal, but I did notice the fuel trim varried from +3 to +8, hanging about half the time at 3 and half the time at 8.

What does this mean to you? My understanding is that this means the computer is trying to add fuel. Does that mean I could be running lean, hence knock is back?

I have no CEL, havent had one for weeks since fixing my P1443 code.

Thanks

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The engine is not running lean, even if it had a lean code. A lean code or positive fuel trim means the computer is adding more fuel than its calculations think it should need in order for it to NOT run lean. A +3 fuel trim isnt even something to bat an eye at. That's as close to perfect as you can hope for. When you start seeing plus or minus 20 then theres an issue.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Have you tried an 'Italian tune-up'? Sometimes you'll get carbon deposits in the combustion chamber that will cause pinging. And, sometimes, hard acceleration or staying in a lower gear longer(increased rpms) will help rid the chamber of said deposits.
I would also consider using a Windex-type sprayer to squirt some plain water into the intake with the engine running at fast idle. You'll have to use the throttle to keep it running, but you do not want to add a 'slug' of water, just a mist. Well maybe a bit more than a mist, but don't go overboard. The water will get flashed to steam in the engine, and have a cleaning effect on the chamber & piston.
It would not hurt to check the oil level as a lowered oil level will increase the engine temperature a bit.
tom

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info on fuel trim.

Tom I have not tried what you are describing, I've been too afraid to try water. I have triple seafoamed it several times, and run many cans through the fuel system, but I haven't done that in a few months. It did help a bit last time the knock got bad so I'm going to be religious about the seafoam for a bit again and let you guys know how that works out

I did not think about oil level, luckily I check it at least every two days and it doesn't lose or burn any that is noticeable on the dipstick in 5000 miles so I suppose that should be ruled out?

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Just to update this thread:

I put two bottles of seafoam into my tank yesterday right before fill up, and then drove home and did two runs of seafoam through the intake, and with 1/2 tank of regular and 1/2 of premium, I have no spark knock. Which is a good sign. Because the spark knock ebbs and flows as I try to attack it, but it was getting to the point again where even with a thorough coolant flush, it was starting to knock on anything other than full tank of just premium.

I plan on trying regular for the whole tank next fill up, will let you know how that goes.

Hopefully carbon buildup is just my issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals