• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering radius lost..

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So a few weekends ago my brother and I did the 95+ dual piston brake/knuckle swap to my 93. Everything went smoothly (we as smoothly as these things can go), and I successfully have the dual piston calipers with the 96 lines, rotors, bearings etc. After I got everything back in place and bled, I took it for a test drive. Everything is excellent, but I felt as I had lost a little bit of my steering radius. There is a left turn on the way from my house (actually it's basicallya U turn) that I always made with ease, that now is really close, with the wheel turned all the way. I also kind of feel like I get less rotation of the wheels both ways. The next day I took it in and had it aligned. No problems there, but it still feels the same, like I lost some rotation. Any thoughts?
There was another thing too, the brakes are stinky. I don't know if it's the EBC's, or the new rotors, but something stinks. I've checked under, there's no grease, or brake fluid, or leaks or rubbing or anything. Just kind of strange.
Any input is always appreciated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't have any real world experience but I would take a close look at the knuckle while someone turns the wheel lock to lock. It shouldn't be to hard to figure out where the bind is.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Don't see pics...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If this was my truck, and realizing that modification can be dangerous, I would grind the stop a little bit at a time until I was satisfied with the turning radius. I'm assuming the stop is the triangular piece with the gouge where the bolt head has been rubbing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals