• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter won't engage.

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have to get another computer here is where I got mine,,, I have had it over a year with no problems,,, it has a lifetime warrenty,,, and was configured and updated for my truck,,, got it at Flagship One Inc . 21 Ryder PL East Rockaway NY,,, the first one they rebuilt for me failed there test so they rebuilt me another one and express shipped it for free to make up for the delay,,, and they beat every price I found...

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Without a lot of thought, yes. It could also be the TFI - thick film ignition - wiring back to the computer as that's the source of the timing & running signals. The PIP signal tells the computer 'you are on cylinder #x and it should fire any ms now' sort of. I really don't have it in memory to call up as it is so stable a system that you do not run into problems often.
You could take the TFI to parts stores in the past for testing, or can test if you know the procedure, with jumpers and a VOM, IIRC. The SPOUT is used to set or release computer timing vs fixed. When the SPOUT jumper is removed timing should be at 10BTDC fixed, warm engine. Some TFI have a start circuit that does two things, or maybe they are two different circuits. One allows push starting, and the other supplies more coil voltage for starting rather than stepped down voltage for 'running'-------- i got the above from a friend on another help site,,, maybe it will help,,, good luck

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 86 was the 2nd year that EFI was available. It does not have a cam position sensor. The injectors fire in 'banks' of 2. #1 & #4, #2 & #3, with the injected fuel 'sitting & waiting' for the intake to open for 1/2 of the cylinders.
I do not remember the injector timing being done by anything but the computer, using the distributor as a 'go' signal.
The injectors will be disabled at WOT with the engine running at 0 rpm.(clear up flooding)
The fuel rail is charged with fuel by the short 'on' cycle of the pump at key ON. The computer monitors oil pressure(IIRC) to re-enable the pump after the engine starts.
If you don't have fuel, have you checked pressure & flow? Do the injectors 'tick' at all? Have you used 'noid' lights or a probe to determine if the ground pulse is there or not?
Have you checked the 'rollover' switch? Does the pump run?
Do the simple tests that are quick and easy, and most likely before jumping to a computer as they actually rarely fail, FWIW.
tom --------------------- i also got this too maybe this will help you out a little,,, got this before the other post so I got the order a little wrong,,, but good info here I hope,,,good luck

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Your information has helped out.
I've also been talking to Jeff at this EEC test:

http://www.thorssell.net/hbook/eectest.html

These are my findings:

I checked for 5V at the throttle response wire connector. I was only receiving .5 . . . a half volt. He then told me pull the power connector from the EEC and check 37 pin(POSITIVE) to 40 pin(GROUND) and 60 pin(GROUND) with a test light.

These were my steps:
I tested 37 pin to ground 40 and ground 60. My test light did not light up..
I then tested 40 and 60 pin against positive lead to battery. I have a good ground on 60, but not on 40
I then tested 37 pin against negative lead to battery. I still got nothing.

Not only do I not have power on 37 pin, I don't have a good ground on 40.
When I get home today from work, I going to look into that source.

I believe once I solve this, everything else should work.

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got the info from Tomw on another site,, there is also a tomw on this site,,, I wonder if it is the same guy,, if it is you owe him the thanks ,,,good luck

Pauls 4x4

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My fuel pump connetor grounded and the starter wouldn't even kick. Strange but maybe that helps. Those Ford jobs drink amps.

firehawk618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Go to your truck, disconnect the electrical connector off the MAP sensor on the firewall.

Report back if it'll start on it's own after that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals