• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter won't engage.

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've done searches here for the same problem, and I'm already thinking it is a ground issue. I turn the key over and the starter spins, but won't engage the flywheel.

It has:
New starter
New positive cable solenoid to starter
New positive cable solenoid to battery
New negative cable battery to frame, to motor

I checked the ground from motor to body on top of the engine. I've checked all grounds running in the wire harness.

I've opened the inspection plate to the flywheel and noticed that the starter gear spins, but will not thrust forward to engage the flywheel. I took it back off, had the new starter checked at the store, and they said it worked 4 tries.
I put it back on, and now have the same issue, the gear will not engage the flywheel. Battery checks out at 12.5, I've changed batteries to rule it out. Is there another ground strap that I'm missing? or could it be something else?

1986 Ford Ranger 2.9 A/T 2wd
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
When you had the starter checked did you watch them check it? Ive had part store "pros" think the starter was good just cause it spun.

I ve never had a bad ground keep one from kicking out.

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went back a second time, and watched, which it did. I rechecked my grounds, then the battery. That's when I noticed it had 675 cranking amps. The ranger requires 750 cranking amps. I replaced the battery, and it finally turns over. Now, it's getting no fuel. On to the next problem. . . .

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so it still won't start. It will run if I squirt starter fluid in it, but will not on its own.

So, I'm getting spark, but no fuel. I pulled the fuel pump and bench tested it. It worked, and I re-installed it. Fuel line gets pressure.

I tested the fuel pump relay at this link:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/fuel-pump-relay-tests-1

This is where I noticed the EEC was not closing the relay and not allowing the circuit to the fuel pump. I tested the fuel pump ground and EEC ground, which both are good. So, I jumped 3 to 4 on the fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump started. I started the truck and still would not start.

So, it will start from starter fluid, but not on its own, even though the fuel injectors are getting fuel. EEC does not give signal to fuel pump relay to close the circuit so the fuel pump will get gas.

I'm getting ready to test fuel injectors for power, but if anyone has any ideas on what I need to be looking for, or what? I'm kinda at a loss right now.

Any ideas?

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Go to a parts store that has loan a tool like Autozone and see if they have a noid light,, if not borrow or steal or buy one,,, this will tell you if injectors are firing ,,,,, if not the computer is not telling the injectors to fire,,, my 99 fires the injectors via a signal from the camshaft position sensor ( to the computer )which sits on the camshaft snyconizer,,, not sure where your 86 gets it signal from,,, but I think you see where i am going,,, NO SIGNAL means NO INJECTOR SQUIRT,,,, if computer does not ground the injectors,, either it is not getting the signal ,,,,or it is and is bad !!! find out how a 86 signals the computer to fire injectors !!!!!

Last edited:

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the injector lead, and tested it with the key on. I'm getting power from the fuel pump relay (Red) and power to both injector leads (lt grn/wht - tan/red). I'm going to try to get a noid light to verify that the computer is grounding out the injectors.

If it's not grounding out the fuel pump relay to allow power to the fuel pump, then it's pointing in the same direction. I purchased this EEC on ebay a few months ago, Arggh! Warranty is out, and I believe you have to keep within the code of the EEC to replace it.

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went through this test:
http://www.thorssell.net/hbook/eectest.html

I did the test, and I don't receive and codes. Nothing lights up.

Here's my main question, if the EEC is no good, since it will not deliver power to injectors and fuel pump relay, how can it run by with starter fluid sprayed into it? Wouldn't it need the EEC to run and deliver power to the TFI and coil?

Should I look at the obvious, and try another EEC?

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I not sure but I dont think your computer is bad ,,,it sounds like it is not seeing rotation and so it does not ground the injectors,,, once started by the starting fluid the rpm's pick up and it see's rotation and grounds the injectors and runs,,assuming you mean it keeps running after you spray it,,, if it quits it has burned up all the spray

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It won't run off the injectors, period. Even with fuel being available. It will run on starter fluid if I stay there and continue to spray it in. I was not able to get to a noid tester yet, but did test the injectors for power, and they are getting it. So I'm only speculating that the injectors are not grounding out.

Should I still be looking for a bad ground connection?

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It shouldn't make a difference if the alternator is hooked up, right?

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The battery only starts the truck,,,then the alternator runs everything after start,,, not sure if everything will run off the battery,,, you might want to hook it up

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HMMM i am just not sure,,, how does your computer get the signal to ground the injectors ??????? could be bad computer,, but could be it is not getting the signal to ground injectors,,, just not sure ,,,hard to tell this many miles away LOL ,,, where does the signal come from for your truck?????????????? and is computer getting it ?????????

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok I did a little looking around and your computer gets it signal to fire the injectors from the distributor ( or this is what I have been told ) so check the wires from the distributor to the computer if they check out it is probally your computer is bad,,,

crazy horse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
K. I'll check that out. It's looking like the computer is bad.

I've tested the (sig rtn) and (vref) from the self test, and throttle response, and does get power, but I don't think it's ground is good. What I don't understand, is why the blk/wht lead to the throttle sensor shows power when I test it from the negative side of battery, but not positive side. Isn't that the ground lead?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals