• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

alwaysFlOoReD's race truck

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got 1st or 2nd in the drags.

Sent from my XT1032

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got 2nd in drags and 2nd in slaloms yesterday. Today got first in drags. slaloms are this afternoon.

Sent from my XT1032

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Excellent showing for a low buck race truck. Congrats!

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tear 'em up FlO! Bring it on home.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Four of us within one second of each other....Got second in slaloms. Got second overall in my class.

Sent from my XT1032

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I weighed my race truck at the scales;
front 960kg 2112 lbs 57.5%
front and back 1670 kg 3674 lbs 100%
back 710 kg 1562 lbs 42.5%
drivers front 490 kg 1078 lbs
drivers side front and back 850 kg 1870 lbs
drivers back 370 kg 814 lbs
passenger front 460 kg 1012 lbs
pass. front and back 800 kg 1760 lbs
pass. back 340 kg 748 lbs

1977 f250 + camper + 18' carhauler/race truck;
front 1310 kg 2882 lbs
back 2910 kg 6402 lbs
carhaulker/race truck 3140 kg 6908lbs

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wasn't able to make the last race of the season, I was just too broke and it was 750 miles away. However, I still was able to come third in my class for the season. Overall, I think I did good. My driving skills improved immensely and I have plans for improving the truck. I'll be updating sporadically as I have only the outdoors to work on the truck right now.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Third overall is outstanding for a race truck on a tight budget competing in different disciplines (slalom is far different than drags, which is quite different from short course offroad.)
Other than your avatar pic it looks like you had a great time doing it too. Keep going, you can only improve your skills and truck from here. :icon_thumby:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I tagged along with two other WORR series racers that decided to go to Saskatchewan for some tuff-truck races. This is the first time I've been to one and didn't really have a clue what was going to happen. Basically there is a small track laid out with a bunch of dirt placed at strategic intervals. One of the guys I was with got first place in the 4x4 modified class, the same class as I was in. I didn't do to well but I'll post a vid of my truck anyway. One of the things I need to do is get new shocks, and the other is invest in a hans device.
The vid is copied from facebook and copyright belongs to Lynn Baglole.

https://www.facebook.com/lynn.baglole.9/videos/10156164726975574/

I should mention that this race was held in Gail force wind and rain. They shut down the races after everyone did one turn, instead of the normal two turns at the track. The ground is clay base and hard to get traction when wet, and they were worried about damage to the fences and spectators.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I finally took the time to fire up the truck for the first time this year. One and a half revolutions and it fired right up...woo-hooo! It's been sitting in the field all winter and I was worried about the battery but no problems. I happened across a brake booster [that didn't get burnt up with all the rest of my parts] I had saved from one of my b-2's. I spent a couple hours swapping it in and now have about 3-4 extra inches of room.

It makes accessing my shocks much easier as well as the spark-plugs. Tomorrow I'll turn the shocks right side up. I installed them up side down in order to lower the unsprung weight but they don't seem to like that position...look at the vid from the previous post, I was bouncing all over. After that I hope to install a rad behind the cab and remove the one in front. I lost a drivers side rear inner fender for the flare side bedsides so I have to try to find another or make something.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I tagged along with two other WORR series racers that decided to go to Saskatchewan for some tuff-truck races. This is the first time I've been to one and didn't really have a clue what was going to happen. Basically there is a small track laid out with a bunch of dirt placed at strategic intervals. One of the guys I was with got first place in the 4x4 modified class, the same class as I was in. I didn't do to well but I'll post a vid of my truck anyway. One of the things I need to do is get new shocks, and the other is invest in a hans device.
The vid is copied from facebook and copyright belongs to Lynn Baglole.

https://www.facebook.com/lynn.baglole.9/videos/10156164726975574/

Richard, that 1st jump had to hurt. We all know Rangers are tough little rigs but you came down hard. Its fortunate that the TTB was a mainstay with desert racers and guys who jump their trucks for fun - there ought to be "old" technology thats used and gently abused available for sale somewhere.
Hopefully you can find somebody's castoffs for a song & dance before you really hurt yourself. Then you can drive it like you stole it!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep, it did hurt. I tweaked my back on that jump but all good now. I bent the bumper a little and creased a little of the back of the passenger fender. I have to take a closer look at the passenger wheel bearings as they feel like they may be brinelled. Everything else looks OK. Also I'm looking for some threaded body shocks, 8" - 10". A friend up the road races circle track and said he'd help me with setting up springs if I came up with the shocks. I'm not looking for much more travel as I don't usually take jumps like in the vid, it's more of a groomed track that I race on, more similar to gravel rallye.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've missed two of the races so far this year, have been too broke to go. However I have some time finally to do something I've been planning on for awhile. I'm moving the rad to the back. I'm hoping to have this completed by this coming weekend so I can go do some racing. I started out by taking all the fenders, box-sides, and doors off;

[/URL][/IMG]

This is the first time that I've had the fenders off and found a few screws loose....on the truck :icon_twisted: It seems that the sheet metal screws don't hold the inner fenders to the cab good enough for long term use so I'll use riv-nuts and bolts in the future. I removed all the wiring from the inner fenders and the rad from the rad support. The white pvc piping I used for the fluid lines held up just fine. Then I removed the front clip;

After crawling around and under the truck yesterday and this morning trying to figure out routing for the new rad lines I finally had an epiphany...who needs passengers anyway? I drilled some holes in the front and rear firewalls and ran some 1 1/4" "emt" tubing thru the middle of where the passenger would normally sit. Much easier than any other way that I could think of;

I've been dragging this tubing bender around for a few years now and finally had a chance to use it. I bolted it to a plate that I secured to the ground and, voila, I can bend tube...and it so happens that the 1 1/2" die fits the 1 1/4" "emt" perfectly.;

I was able to get two perfect bends;

In the above pic I was contemplating having the rad lie flat for lower "cog" but have since decided it will be too much trouble fabbing up mounts for it. I have since mounted the rad standing upright on the crossmember about ten inches behind the cab. I have no pics yet but I think it will survive the jumps I do.

In the front of the truck I tried to bend a piece of "emt" that already had a bend in it to come around the front of the engine. This bend didn't work quite so well. :annoyed: I believe it kinked because it's a slightly thinner wall tubing that I happened to pick up from a job-site's scrap pile. I used it anyway as I don't think it will affect flow too much;

Off to work tomorrow finally. Only a one or two day job....oh well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals