• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 98 Expy Project

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My Buddy that owns a transmission shop had a customer drop off a 98 Expedition and a used trans and t-case at his shop. The original trans a transfer case were both had broken cases. He installed the trans and transfer case, and that was the last he saw of them. After sitting for 3 years, he gave it to me. After a few months of getting the title tracked down and getting it transferred into my name, it was finally mine. I've already done quite a bit to it, but it's still a work in progress.

Here it is..

It was pretty much full of garbage. I filled up 4 giant garbage bags of crap.

I wish I'd taken a picture of the carpet prior to the several carpet cleanings. I also let it sit for a week with coffee grounds all over in it to remove the stagnant smell. Here it is... the whole interior got douched.

Bringing it to my house, I could tell things weren't right in Kansas. It vibrated like crazy. This is the rear driveline u-joint, located next to the differential.

And, the front driveline. These issues would be why both the trans and transfer case were both busted when it was brought to the shop.

After putting about 300 miles on the used trans, it started to slip really bad on take off. I'll add more photos soon of the crap we found in the pan. Luckily, my Buddy had another rebuilt 4R70W sitting on his shelf and we slammed that in there.

......more to come.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So let me get this straight...

You're still alive? Dude, where have you been? It couldn't have taken all that time just to clean out that Expedition and find the damaged drive shafts.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
LOL....

I know it's been a long time. I figured I better quit being a stranger.

How's your Mustang project going?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Things I accomplished on the Mustang this year:

Watched all 11 seasons of MASH.

Almost put the starter on, but didn't feel like crawling under the car. Went and watched Star Trek instead.

I spent most of my summer chopping fire wood and working on another Ranger I bought in May. I think I spent a total of an hour working on it this year, and then hauled it out because we are moving to be closer to both our families.

The up side is the new house has a nicer garage, so maybe I'll get somewhere now.

Oh, and I found five kittens in the car this spring. Four of the were still alive.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
This was the pan of the used trans when we pulled it. Boy did this fluid stink!

This is the unit he had on his shelf. As you can tell it was just built.

And, installed it is.

In the midst of all of the transmission issues, I've also been chasing some front end noise. After checking, I realized the front hubs were shot. I replaced those with some units I bought from Detroit Axle. While I was at it, I figured I'd to ceramic pads and rotors.... because that's how I roll.

After installing all of that, I still have a hum in the front end. My guess is that the trashed u-joint jacked up the front diff. Last night I found a diff on the local classifieds and picked it up this morning for 60 dollars. The fork engages fine. I was hoping it would have the vacuum motor on it, just to have a spare.... but it wasn't there.

Along the way I also took care of some rust (POR-15) up on the roof by the windshield.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Things I accomplished on the Mustang this year:

Watched all 11 seasons of MASH.

Almost put the starter on, but didn't feel like crawling under the car. Went and watched Star Trek instead.

I spent most of my summer chopping fire wood and working on another Ranger I bought in May. I think I spent a total of an hour working on it this year, and then hauled it out because we are moving to be closer to both our families.

The up side is the new house has a nicer garage, so maybe I'll get somewhere now.

Oh, and I found five kittens in the car this spring. Four of the were still alive.
That's exactly one more hour than I've spent on my Mustang. I haven't even started it for nearly a year. I did buy a new battery for it, LOL. But now it's in the Expedition. Watching 11 seasons of MASH was also on my agenda. I never tire of that series.

Congrats on the new house. We've been talking about building a garage or moving. I despise moving, and I really like the area I'm in. So I think the garage will win.... eventually. It would be really helpful on many levels, but most importantly winter weather.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Make sure that windshield isn't leaking. They like to leak on that body, and some oddity of the interior makes it all flow right into the GEM.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hey....hey you......

those shitty u joints did not wreck anything.... the way a shitty u joint wrecks something is when the shaft flys out and smashes shit all to hell or splits the cap and waller the ears...

i have to believe you know that and was just saying what you said to justify buying parts to he wife....

nice score though....

big block with a zf5 and some 60's with 41 in irok radials...oh....oh the badassery you would have there...

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It also had an issue with the blend door when I got it. All I got out of the vents was heat. This tells you either the blend door is broken, or the blend door motor is bad. I bought both, and hoped for the motor because I wasn't looking forward to tearing the dash apart.

I pulled this....

And it is bad. Look at the busted teeth on the cog.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Make sure that windshield isn't leaking. They like to leak on that body, and some oddity of the interior makes it all flow right into the GEM.
It did indeed leak! Where is the GEM in this? This was making its way down to the passenger side kick panel. I found the hole when I had the windshield replaced. The guy put some primer on it that is supposed to prevent rust, and also filled it with windshield caulk. So far, no more leaks.

hey....hey you......

those shitty u joints did not wreck anything.... the way a shitty u joint wrecks something is when the shaft flys out and smashes shit all to hell or splits the cap and waller the ears...

i have to believe you know that and was just saying what you said to justify buying parts to he wife....

nice score though....

big block with a zf5 and some 60's with 41 in irok radials...oh....oh the badassery you would have there...
You're on to me! LOL. :icon_thumby: I believe it's low on fluid. The vent tube was not attached, and it's obviously been coming out of the nipple. It has a bad bearing in it somewheres.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Future changes and mods are....

I need to get more line pressure on the trans. My Buddy has a kit he's been wanting to try on a 4R70W called the Pressure Riser by Superior. He wants to put it on this and have me test it out. Basically, it intercepts the signal to the EPC and modifies it to make it have more pressure. This will increase shift firmness, and make it shift quicker. This also will increase capacity with more holding power, and also the trans life. But.... this will be my Wife's DD. So, I might just do that kit on Hoss. The F150 is more of my work horse. He wants to do it on a new trans though, which is understandable. He's leaving for Pennsylvania for two months sometime this next week - so it's a time crunch. I may just put a new Sonnax boost valve in it.

I plan to find an OEM sub for this thing, and just use the enclosure for a little more kick on the stereo.

I have new shocks waiting to go on.

I have new plugs and wires waiting to go on.

I also have a new fuel filter, and a set of new injectors for it.

I know there's more....LOL

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
GEM should be on the back side of the interior fuse block. Expect it to be back ordered if you need it. One of my co-workers just tried to get one, and they were pulled from ordering stock right after his order went in.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Maybe I'll try and generate a GEM at the yard, just in case. It seems to work fine. I need to start getting spare parts for these things.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My Buddy gave me this cooler to put on it as well. It is a Hayden 1405 cooler.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Joy....

It appears this pig has the obligatory Romeo head gasket oil leak. I guess I won't use 5W-20 in it anymore.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals