• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission options?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Reading through this tread has me wondering how the auto transmissions are in the late 90's 5.0 explorer. Which transmissions did Ford use in those and are those good or bad?

Next year I plan on buying a 98-00 5.0 awd explorer, would like to know if they are junk or not. I always change the fluids and do the proper maintenance on my vehicles.
I'm not the expert but from what I've read, the A4LD was used in the Explorer also

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I thought transmission fluid changes are bad?
Only if you change the transmission fluid and put in beer or whiskey instead of transmission fluid...

Otherwise, they should be changed just like any other fluid and watched carefully...just because there is no dipstick on a manual doesn't mean they were meant to never be changed or checked...

My last M5OD had over 440,000 km on it and was running as smooth as ever...

CreepyCrawler

NCMillwright
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFordFord
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 4.0 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My credo
it is what it is
is this a combo daily street use and wheeling or mostly wheeling? if youre mainly wheeling with it go straight drive and do an np435 swap. mule 1st gear. 4 speed. good for towing and low end. if youre doing using it as a dd and wheeler and want to stay auto id go with a c4 or c6 and keep it simple

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is this a combo daily street use and wheeling or mostly wheeling? if youre mainly wheeling with it go straight drive and do an np435 swap. mule 1st gear. 4 speed. good for towing and low end. if youre doing using it as a dd and wheeler and want to stay auto id go with a c4 or c6 and keep it simple
If you are talking all these transmissions to replace the A4LD where are you getting the bellhousing adapters to go behind a 4.0? Only option I know of are the 700r4 kit from advance adapter or a c5 from 83-85 rangers. I would like a np435 in my ranger. I could get a 200 to 1 crawl ratio pretty easy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dcmorgan2004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
the a4ld is not junk. you just need to make sure you get it rebuilt by a reputable trans. mechanic. not some out of know where, backyard, cheapo guy. it might cost more, but it'll be better than taking it back and having it fixed every 3-6 months.
if you want it done good and cheap, it ain't gonna be fast. if you want it done good and fast, it ain't gonna be cheap. it you want it done fast and cheap, it ain't gonna be good.
I suggest taking your trans. to a dealership or a trans. shop. no one else.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals