• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how well would LP

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
how well would an LP conversion work on my carb'd toyota 2F.

4.2L 165 hp @ 3600 rpm 210ft/lb @ 1800 rpm in stock config. I have added 3* advance cam timing. Gets between 9 and 12 mpg depending on my digital throttle syndrome that day. may add 10 psi boost if needed.

what should I expect for power drop/gain mileage drop/gain. would it preform better than gasoline on an extreme angle (down fall of the carb and wheeling)

looking at this as an alternative to TBI from a chebby 4.3L ......... cost about 1600 with all the parts and programming. LP kit runs about 800 plus tank. can get a 40 gallon tank that mounts on the driver side underneath completely out of the way..... tank will run me about 300 and is built to be underneath and take abuse from off roading.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It ought to work quite well for a carb'd engine (make sure you block off the heat riser, though). And LPG doesn't care about big angles because it's fed by high pressure instead of gravity. You can almost run them upside down (though the oiling system doesn't like that).

It's not cheaper than gasoline per BTU, but it can be a nice way to breathe life into a badly outdated carbureted engine.

Though LandCruisers are still sold, so I'd expect you can get a more up to date engine for the same vehicle. Fuel injected gasoline also does very well for extreme angles.

TBI isn't the greatest; it's better than a carb, but MPFI really does work a lot better, especially at high RPM. TBI has all the intake limitations of carbs (because it almost is one) -- especially, taking mixture around bends can take it out of suspension and wet the manifold. But MPFI can tolerate quite a lot more.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
the updated engine comes at a huge cost and is not any more fuel efficient than the one I have. A 350sb is actually more fuel efficient, and cheaper to swap in than a 3FE or or a 1FZ-FE. those are the 2 EFI inline 6cyl available and cost twice what a 350 costs and still only get 12 with a 4spd. everybody I know that has swapped in a 350 has done it for $1600 (using a ranger gear splitter as the adapter) and gets in the 18 - 20 range. I would be looking $1500 for a used 3FE and $2600 for a 5spd/tcase. and would get in the 16 - 17 range. I think the FJ cruiser runs a 3.4L V6 and the FJ - 100 and 200 series run 4.7 and 5.7L V8. the most cost effective swap is a cummins 3.9L and ranger gear splitter hooked to the stock Toyota 4spd/tcase and that would get in the 28 - 32 mpg range........ that engine around here runs upwards of $3000 and $1600 for the ranger gear splitter.......

I have weighed all my options and there are no good ones........ only thing I can think of is increasing my fuel capacity to increase my cruising range (unless this hydrogen thing pans out........ but from I can tell it only works with big diesels because of the 300 amp alt. and even a 5/10 mpg increase is a big savings.) by adding a bigger gas tank and adding LP for extreme angles........ thnks for the reply though

I can put a 3FE head and intake on my 2F engine....... it would cost the same as swapping a V8

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals