• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Freakin brakes

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I got this 89 b2 from my dad and it runs great but it won't stop the brakes suck

I replaced the master cyclinder and vacum booster and did front rotors and pads cause they were shot anyway

when its not running the pedal is hard but when its running with vacum pressure it just goes to the floor I bled the brakes in the front but im not gettin any fluid out of the rears any help would be great

I can't remember if these have proportioning valves or not but it does have rear abs too and all the brake lights are lit up like a Christmas tree so not sure what's the issue here :icon_confused:

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I believe that has RABS. If so the modules are known for crapping up and causing all sorts of issue. Trace the lines from the master back and make sure there are no kinks or bent lines. A

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Did you bench bleed the MC prior to installing it? Look underneath for leaks. Look hard around where you worked. Tighten all fittings you worked on. You need to eyeball as much of the system as you can. . Around here, 27 yr old brake lines are rare.:D

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Thanks guys from my research on the Google machine it would seem as if the rabs little box is the problem and no I didn't I had to rob it from my project truck to get my dd running short on cash right meow so I have read of guys just cleaning it and it works again also my brake fluid was gross like black but I looked for a new one and they run about 150$ :(

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Hats off to you 1st gen guys. I have a hard time staying ahead of the maintenance on the Rat.:D

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Well I replaced the module and it turns out that my master cylinder was bad too that was brand new not sure how that happens

but I got another one bend bled it and stuck it on and it helped a bit I also replaced the two rear wheel cylinders and rebuilt the rear brakes with the works drums pads etc

But I still have sloppy brakes I didn't how ever replace the calipers and it pulls to the left under braking so I guess I'll replace those too

One other thing the new rabs mod had instructions to bleed it to OEM spec anyone know what that's about??

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You might want to check the length of the booster to master cylinder push rod (which is adjustable) It's got a screw on the outer end which is adjusted so the rod protrudes a set amount past the flat face of the booster. Check out the Chilton manual for the procedure. If the rod is too short it could cause this problem.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
In all this you never checked the valve? The Valve is athe reason for most of the issues. Mine was leaking, and keeping the rear brakes engaged (dragging) we took it out. RABS will never save a life, may have ended many.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
I replaced everything but the lines and now it stops just a little funny tho I have decent brakes but I'll read through my manual and check that length and try and bleed it some moar

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals