• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing an 01

Reavis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
3 years ago I lucked out and got a screamin' deal on an '01 Ranger xlt super cab 4wd with only 24k miles. Loved it. But luck ran out last weekend when I rolled it on a back road.

I do forest work so need clearance and have a small farm so haul stuff around from time to time but nothing too big. Really liked the mpg, reliabilty, and no frills. The 01 was perfect.

Found a 2002 I can afford with the insurance payout. (100k more miles).

Is an 02 just as good? Are there years I should avoid or look for? Other trucks to consider (reliability, mpg, durability are key) Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2002 model year was pretty good
4.0l SOHC engines(2001-2004) did have timing chain issues which required engine to be pulled out for repair.
3.0l was OK
2.3l DOHC Duratec 4cyl was OK as well, it did have some coolant lines with plastic fittings that might need replacing over time.

4WD system was the same as 2001

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
There is a Ranger Buyers Guide on the TRS Home page.

Reavis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! That's a great resource. Not much info that's *not* there.

I'd welcome any other advice or thoughts folks have.

Is there a point where high mileage is too high? Also, I know this is a Ranger forum, but any other used trucks to consider for reliability, durability, and economy?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
as for engine choices, the 3.0 flex fuel is a good engine, BUT if the flex fuel sensor goes bad the engine won't run and that dammned sensor is over $600 !!!! there are aftermarket "replicators" for $150 but that eliminates the FF ability.

other than that, no major complaints on my 3.0 FF bought new in 2000.

where are you located?

if the frame is good/not rusted consider keeping it if feasible.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as for engine choices, the 3.0 flex fuel is a good engine, BUT if the flex fuel sensor goes bad the engine won't run and that dammned sensor is over $600 !!!! there are aftermarket "replicators" for $150 but that eliminates the FF ability.

other than that, no major complaints on my 3.0 FF bought new in 2000.

where are you located?

if the frame is good/not rusted consider keeping it if feasible.
Based on what I've heard from owners, the 01 and newer flex fuel trucks don't use the Flex Fuel Sensor. The fuel quality/type is determined via the PCM. It eliminates the expensive sensor, but can add a delay that makes fine tuning the fuel system a bit more difficult for performance applications.

Reavis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks again.

I'm in Eastern Oregon so my options are a bit limited. Haven't seen the Flex Fuel option out there yet.

I'm taking a look at that '02 tomorrow. I'm glad it sounds like a fundamentally sound vehicle. The Buyers Guide is a great resource so even if that doesn't work out, I'm sure there's something I can find.

Still wondering if anyone's got thoughts on if there's a point where high mileage crosses a line of not being worth it and if there are any other trucks out there that would satisfy a Ranger lover - which is to say no frills, dependability, and economy.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The M5OD-R1 manual transmission, used in Ranger from 1988 to 2012 was fairly bulletproof, but will need clutch replaced, average life is 150k miles, but this varies widely depending on use, between 100k and 200k.
They use a self adjusting pressure plate so no way to tell clutch wear by pedal feel.
Clutch replacement can run $700-$1,200 at a shop.

The 5R44E automatic (2001-2012) was a good transmission but like all automatics heat reduces life expectancy, darker colored fluid can be heat damage or 0 maintenance, neither is a good sign, fresh fluid can also hide a problem.
If truck has second trans cooler that's a good sign trans could be in good condition.
150k miles is again the average number, and 100k-200k, although 200k is an optimistic number.
You can usually find a rebuilt 5R44E for about $1,500 with 5year/100k warranty, exchange, plus whatever removal and installation runs

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Based on what I've heard from owners, the 01 and newer flex fuel trucks don't use the Flex Fuel Sensor. The fuel quality/type is determined via the PCM. It eliminates the expensive sensor, but can add a delay that makes fine tuning the fuel system a bit more difficult for performance applications.

performance from a 3.0?? well, depends on who you ask and how much money they wasted.

maybe that's why my '00 was so cheap when we got it. in July '00 my son, then 18, was able to lease it for less than $99/mo with a mere $150 down. when the 2 yr lease expired I bought it for about $7300.

I knew they switched to the non-sensor system, just didn't know exactly when.
its good to know.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
If the clutch is reeeeally bad it will engage right at the top :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
M5OD has rubber plugs for the shift rails that go bad, leak and since people never check anything run the trans low/without oil.

That and not knowing how to shift are what kills them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals