• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 3.0 Flex Fuel

Rangerbangher

Reaction score
I was wondering if i could run flex fuel in my 1991 Ranger with a 3.0 out of a 1994 taurus if not why not!

bro2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 l
Transmission
Automatic
1991 3.0 flex fuel

the answer is no, only if you have green injectors ,I'm not sure about the injector color on a ford but on a dodge the flex fuel is marked by green inectors. there is a big diff in the mapping of the fuel injection,
so I've been told while working at the dodge dealer

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have heard that in best guesstimate you need to run new fuel lines,new fuel pump,new injector and a ffv engine. then in order for the engine to adjust fuel pulses because f85 needs a little more fuel to provide the power of dino gas, you need the flexfuel computer out of a ranger and then program it to lose any control for the tranmission that may have been programmed in to it. in short it would be just worth it to get a flex fuel ranger then to try to convert an existing one.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The color of the injectors says how much fuel they flow per hour. Nothing more. And injectors are just solenoid valves, so changing them alone won't do anything.

E85 is MORE EXPENSIVE per mile. That it looks cheaper is an artifact of measuring by volume. Your mileage will go down substantially, even with a perfectly tuned vehicle.

If you want to be less dependent on oil, the better answer (for the moment at least) appears to be biodiesel. It's not clear it will scale up well (especially finding uses for all the glycerin), but at least it doesn't have dramatically less energy per volume, and at least for the moment, isn't burning food.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is about a wash expencewise, the color of the injector probably has alot to do with flex fuel as they have to put in much more fuel.

Ethonal despite its shortcomings will be a much more reliable source of energy than petrolium. One or two well placed hurricanes would really put a crimp in regular gas production, since we have to put them wide open on the coast for some reason. They are working to make it out of other things than corn too, like cornstalks (left in field to get blown around) grass (left on sides of roads to blow around) and animal waste (the stuff that isn't good enough for hot dogs).

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
FFV have larger injectors then their non-FFV equivalent. in the case of the 3.0, FFV uses 25lb/hr injectors vs the non-ffv pitiful 14lb/hr. there isnt anything special about the injectors, they are just capable of flowing more.

the color of the injectors denotes their flow rating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals