• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions?

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
How can I tell if my oil pump is working on my BII? I primed and installed one prior to putting in a different 2.9.

The BII I bought a couple months ago had bad heads. Leaked like mad into the exhaust. I started the truck tonight after doing the swap and it ran for awhile but blew white smoke and water the entire time. I'm wondering if it's from the other engine with the bad heads or if this has a problem all it's own?

The bad news, truck ran for about two blocks blowing white smoke and then died. Can't get it re-started...:sad:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Unhook your sender and hook up a mech guage. If your exhaust is full of glycol its going to smoke white like a bitch till you heat it up and burn it out. Not good for HEGO's either.

Last edited:

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
Would the filled exhaust cause it to die and not restart? I'm wondering if it's clogged to the point it doesn't want to run?

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Most stock exhaust have a lil weep holes for moisture to drain out, but the cats dont alot. Glycol is sticky so if you can get it started with verified oil pressure within 0-10 seconds nurse the throttle and run it up and hold it there till the fog clears and i mean UP, the fog and engine temperment will change at about the same rate.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you put a 1/4" hex driver on a drill you can put a mechanical oil gauge on the engine, pull the intake and the distributor and run the oil pump with the drill. Then you can see if you are producing oil pressure without having to run the engine.

I wouldn't worry about the smoke just yet. That stuff gets down into the converter and will just sit there until it all boils out. Last 6.0 that I did EGR coolers on I think I put about 70 miles on that bad boy before it stopped blowing a big white cloud out the exhaust.

Highly doubtful coolant in the exhaust could cause it to not start. Fluids don't generally work that way.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Are the other guages working to check the guage turn the key on and take the wire for the oil pressure sender and touch it to a good ground the guage should read high. If it does work you way back to the oil pump.

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I believe my cat is thoroughly clogged. Runs fine at start up then gets a sleight miss after a couple minutes and then completely boggs down and dies.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Cat or muffeler one way to tell is have someone give it gas with your hand over the tailpipe the gasses coming out should be equal to rpm my mulleler was about half way plugged with cat parts. I wouldnt go over half throttle until it would start to load up. Of course it was the last thing it looked at.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals